Various Internet Problems

Alistus

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
I just built a new PC and I'm having various issues with my internet. My ISP tech support was no help so I figured I'd come here. I pay for 200 mbps internet that comes in through a modem supplied by my ISP, which is then connected to my brand new Linksys WRT 32X router in the primary port. I've been testing both my new PC and the old one plugged into the router or modem secondary port directly and I'm getting various speeds. All speeds are with the same ethernet cable in the same port so only one PC is connected at a time. These are the numbers as of right now, and are all using the ookla speed test website unless otherwise stated.

Old PC plugged directly into modem: 235 mbps

Old PC plugged into router: 114 mbps

New PC plugged directly into modem: "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration" error

New PC plugged into router: 114 mbps

Router settings speedtest: 162 mbps

Phone wireless: ~60 mbps

I've tried tinkering with the drivers of the new PC to fix the IP configuration issue but when I updated the ethernet drivers I ended up with around .4 mbps. I have one other ethernet cable that gives the same results, so I don't believe the cable is the problem. If anyone has any advice pertaining to why I'm not getting full speed through my router, or the ip config issue, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Alistus

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
I believe so, but also while I was looking for the QOS setting I checked the prioritization page and it said it was prioritizing based on 114 mbps. So even though it says it's getting 160-200 speeds, it's only putting out 114.

If the modem is a cable modem you most times must power cycle the device every time you change the device plugged into it. They tend to lock onto the first mac address they see and not allow any others.

Try to factory reset the router and run with default configuration. You want to avoid configuring any of the firewall or QoS features until you know if they have any impact on the throughput of the router.

Alistus

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
I'll look into disabling the prioritization, but yes it worked before and now it doesn't. I did attempt to cycle the power a few times but I'll try that again as well.