Question various issues with PC freezing on startup/ overheating and shutting down during games. should i replace my video card?

Oct 19, 2019
Hello fellow techies. I have had a very nice gaming computer(for its time) for about 4 years now that a friend helped me to build. However, i've started to run into some minor irritating problems over the past year or so, that seem to progressively get worse as time goes on.

For one, my PC will sometimes freeze on startup, requiring multiple reboots before windows successfully loads. I am able to get around this issue by just leaving the PC on, or letting my PC "warm up" by loading in safe mode for 15 mins or so before starting normally. Leaving the computer off for a few hours seems to cause this issue.

I ran a system boot log in windows, and believe the cause of this problem is that the "dgxkernel" drivers sometimes fail to load, and once in awhile when in the middle of rebooting I will get the windows "fatal error" blue screen

Upon farther research into the "dgxkernel" issue, it appears to be an issue regarding the graphics card, but i am not 100% sure on that.

In addition, my PC will also overheat and shut down when playing graphically intensive games. The fans on the bottom of the video card will rev like a car engine, and the video card will feel almost unbearably hot to the touch. I took the heat sinks, and graphics card out of the cpu and cleaned them (they were both covered in dust). However, the problem still persists. Perhaps the video card makes inside of pc so hot that it causes the processor to overheat?

Anyway, long story short, I was wondering if anybody can tell me if im on the right track when it comes to fixing these issues? Would replacing the graphics card solve my problems?

SPECS:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Display adapters: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 series, AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 series, Intel(R) HD graphics 4600
System Model Z97X-Gaming 7
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product Z97X-Gaming 7

cherry blossoms

Reputable
Apr 13, 2016
If you suspect a video card problem, pull the video card out and let the system off for your cold period that normally causes problems.

Setup to run on your integrated graphics.

See if you can boot normally. after the cold period that causes problems.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS