[SOLVED] Various new HDDs not being detected in multiple systems?? What's going on?!

Aug 4, 2021
I am pulling my hair out here and hoping one of you has the answer to this!

I am building a new system for someone and they want a 4TB HDD. The build was fine, and Windows installed on a M.2 drive. The fun started when I first connected the HDD. Nothing showing in Partition Manager or BIOS. Tried it in my cloning dock, still nothing. Tried it in my PC, nothing. OK, so assumed dead drive...

The trouble is, I have now tried 4 drives (3 Seagate Compute and 1 Toshiba P300)! All the same. What am I missing here?

They have all been delivered by Amazon, but I refuse to believe that all 4 can be damaged in shipping...

Solution
Me neither, but 4 drives?! It's surely unheard of! I'd love to see what Amazon are doing to these things
it strikes me as extremely unlikely that they are bad. It's hard to believe.
...but as you said....you have tried them on multiple systems.
That means multiple power supplies, multiple motherboards, and multiple cables.
This would tend to eliminate all these things....and this is somewhat of an understatement.

I am building a new system for someone and they want a 4TB HDD. The build was fine, and Windows installed on a M.2 drive. The fun started when I first connected the HDD. Nothing showing in Partition Manager or BIOS. Tried it in my cloning dock, still nothing. Tried it in my PC, nothing. OK, so assumed dead drive...

The trouble is, I have now tried 4 drives (3 Seagate Compute and 1 Toshiba P300)! All the same. What am I missing here?

They have all been delivered by Amazon, but I refuse to believe that all 4 can be damaged in shipping...
Try different power cable?
Try different data cable?
What motherboard?
SATA ports get disabled on certain motherboards when you use an M2.
I'm thinking this is what it is.

Aug 4, 2021
Try different power cable?
Try different data cable?
What motherboard?
SATA ports get disabled on certain motherboards when you use an M2.
I'm thinking this is what it is.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried a spare SSD and that shows up fine, which rules out the SATA cable and port, and power cable. The mobo is MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi.

With the HDDs, I have tried them in multiple systems and nothing.

Me neither, but 4 drives?! It's surely unheard of! I'd love to see what Amazon are doing to these things
it strikes me as extremely unlikely that they are bad. It's hard to believe.
...but as you said....you have tried them on multiple systems.
That means multiple power supplies, multiple motherboards, and multiple cables.
This would tend to eliminate all these things....and this is somewhat of an understatement.

Reactions: Ripcorder
Solution
just because you found them on Amazon doesn't mean they are actually from Amazon.
the majority of items listed are through 3rd party sellers\storefronts.

check the individual sellers' ratings and comments to see if it's a common complaint.
if they are actually sold & shipped by Amazon themselves at least it will be easy to get refunds\replacements.

Aug 4, 2021
just because you found them on Amazon doesn't mean they are actually from Amazon.
the majority of items listed are through 3rd party sellers\storefronts.

check the individual sellers' ratings and comments to see if it's a common complaint.
if they are actually sold & shipped by Amazon themselves at least it will be easy to get refunds\replacements.
All direct from Amazon, and returns have been accepted without any hassle, but still, it's extremely frustrating!

Some reading.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hdd...hUKEwjk9PTjwpfyAhXbPM0KHVU-A9sQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Any jumpers enabled on the jumper block?