Various PSU Problems?

Oct 6, 2018
Hi all. I recently put in a new GPU and SSD into my computer; alongside that I re-installed Windows 8.1 onto my SSD. Before I did all this I was having occasional power issues where, after I turned my computer off, if I turned it immediately back on it wouldn't boot properly; the screens would never turn on. Since I re-installed my OS, though, I've noticed a few other issues. First of all, I swear I smell plastic or burning or something from my computer often; but my temps are fine, and I have a 500 watt PSU that should be able to handle my system power draw fine. Second of all, I've noticed that often when I wake my computer from sleep, it will just straight up turn off and I will experience the boot issue for a few moments after it shuts off. I've messed around with the power options a bit but nothing has helped. Is this a PSU or an OS issue?

Oct 6, 2018
Well there wasn't any pop or anything, and my roommate doesn't corroborate the burning/plastic smell (I've heard it could just be the plastic from my new GPU heating up?). Is it dangerous to keep around?

Oct 6, 2018
I'm just more worried about breathing in the smoke or whatever if it does blow and the plastic smell right now (if it even exists, I could just be conjuring it up)

TRENDING THREADS