Question Various random BSODs throughout the day

May 12, 2021
I updated parts in my system (motherboard, cpu, ram) a few weeks ago and kept my previous parts, and I only had a few BSODs until I wiped my system clean then reinstalled windows. Ever since the reinstall I've been getting 1-3 crashes every single day for no apparent reason. The cause is usually from FLTMGR.SYS or ntoskrnl.exe.

I've run memtest for 1 pass with no fails, uninstalled programs that showed up in some of the minidumps (steam.exe, spotify.exe), and removed some programs that are known to be common causes of crashes (malwarebytes). I ran driver verifier for 8 hours on two separate occasions and couldn't get any BSOD. I've also swapped and reseated the RAM on my mobo but that seemed to not change anything at all.

I'm all out of options and have no idea what it could be.

List of recent BSODs:
  • KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

Colif

Win 11 Master
KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
often I see this its caused by LAN drivers, so try updating WIFI or Ethernet, depending which you use.

I don't see Reference by Pointer very often

the programs that show in crashes are 99% of the time, the victim, not cause. That applies to ntoskrnl & fltmgr.sys as those 2 are involved in everything

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Driver verifer found nothing?

What are specs of the PC?

May 12, 2021
often I see this its caused by LAN drivers, so try updating WIFI or Ethernet, depending which you use.

I don't see Reference by Pointer very often

the programs that show in crashes are 99% of the time, the victim, not cause. That applies to ntoskrnl & fltmgr.sys as those 2 are involved in everything

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Driver verifer found nothing?

What are specs of the PC?
Here is the link to my 5 most recent minidumps.
http://www.filedropper.com/minidumps

Driver verifier found nothing both times. I can run it again for longer to see if I can get it to crash.

My PC specs are:
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA)
  • ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/hrogwt9s/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:051221-9703-01.dmp (May 12 2021 - 02:01:06)
Bugcheck:REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: qbittorrent.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:051221-9000-01.dmp (May 12 2021 - 17:45:12)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE (162)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: pycharm64.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:051121-8734-01.dmp (May 11 2021 - 19:50:23)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Spotify.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 19 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:051121-8625-01.dmp (May 11 2021 - 00:06:19)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 19 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:051021-8687-01.dmp (May 10 2021 - 04:31:54)
Bugcheck:IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE (4A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: iCUE.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
May 12, 2021
Gardenman yes, this is the correct motherboard. I did update to the newest BIOS but reverted it as I had performance issues. I only had the updated system running for 10-20 mins before I decided to revert.

iCue states it is up to date when I checked for updates.
I did update my chipset drivers not too long ago so I think I have everything up to date. Should I do it again?
For the gigabit adapter driver, the driver support assistant says no updates are available for my system.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Corsair must know what its doing,
Feb 14 2020CorsairLLAccess64.sysCORSAIR iCUE Software driver
the driver above that you have installed is showing on my system with a creation date of Jan 11 2021. I can't tell regarding the other corsair drivers as I don't have creation dates for them. Dumps don't show version numbers.
Icue might not even be the problem.

what were problems with new bios? irony its meant to help system stability

May 12, 2021
Weird, I just quit and reopened the software now it's downloading the 4.11.274 update. Was previously at 3.38.61.

With the BIOS it was very jittery and stuttered at times. Mind you I was only running my pc for 10 minutes at that point so it could of just been a one time thing. I can go ahead and update the BIOS again to see if it occurs.

Also, a few minutes ago when I went to go on my PC, I shook my mouse to wake the monitors but nothing happened, they just stayed black. After I forced a restart, I noticed that I got a BSOD at that time because there was a new mini dump that was created exactly when I shook my mouse. Here is the link for that minidump. With it I also included the minidump for another crash that happened yesterday at around the same time, this one was while I was coding in the PyCharm IDE. http://www.filedropper.com/newminidumps

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the 2 new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/13urkqxc/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:051421-8687-01.dmp (May 14 2021 - 03:04:39)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 55 Sec(s)

File information:051321-8875-01.dmp (May 13 2021 - 04:28:50)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
just digging, not sure of cause

what mouse do you have?
I could guess Steelseries or Corsair, based on drivers
latest version of Steelseries engine in 3.20.0, i happen to have it as well. I don't know what dates the drivers are I have as my pc only shows me 3 creation dates for all my drivers.

try running memtest86 for more than 1 pass, one stick at a time or you can't tell which one is problem if you get an error.

May 12, 2021
what mouse do you have?
I could guess Steelseries or Corsair, based on drivers
latest version of Steelseries engine in 3.20.0, i happen to have it as well. I don't know what dates the drivers are I have as my pc only shows me 3 creation dates for all my drivers.
I have the Steelseries Sensei 310. I believe the drivers are up to date as I have the new Steelseries GG software.

try running memtest86 for more than 1 pass, one stick at a time or you can't tell which one is problem if you get an error.
I'll run it in a bit overnight for about 10-11 hours and then let you know the results. I did have another BSOD today which I will attach just incase you can find something with it.
http://www.filedropper.com/newminidump

May 12, 2021
So after running memtest for 11 hours for 6 passes, there were 0 errors. Can't completely rule out the RAM but I don't think it's the problem. What did happen after I restarted my pc though is that my left monitor doesn't want to turn on. This has been increasingly happening over the past 2 weeks and I didn't think much of it as I just bought new cables for them and thought that they might be faulty, but it could be my GPU malfunctioning. Do any of the minidumps point to GPU errors?

Colif

Win 11 Master
looking through the last 7, no sign any are GPU. I would have mentioned it if I had noticed. Last year I used to blame Nvidia for almost all crashed I saw, and then I got a new GPU and changed my mind as I use latest Nvidia drivers and no problems.

I did notice the 10 series cards didn't run as well with newer drivers

you can try running DDU in safe mode, remove all trace of Nvidia and then reinstall either the newest drivers or run windows update and let windows find older but possibly more stable Nvidia drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

May 12, 2021
Honestly, I think it's just the new cables I got. I'm going to buy new ones today and see if the monitors still act the same.

I have done a complete reinstall of the Nvidia drivers about 3 weeks ago but it didn't seem to help much at all as I'm still constantly crashing.

Also I got another BSOD in the middle of the night but no minidump was generated. I'm completely lost on what is causing these crashes, I just need something to work off of to try and fix.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/nze8cgmt/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:051621-8671-01.dmp (May 16 2021 - 14:02:03)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
one BSOD a day for most of April it seems
oldest i see is 22nd March, Windows error reporting doesn't remember before that as I could guess it was when you installed windows.

I updated parts in my system (motherboard, cpu, ram) a few weeks ago and kept my previous parts, and I only had a few BSODs until I wiped my system clean then reinstalled windows
a few weeks ago = almost 2 months?

i assume you know a headset is disabled, it shows in System information, on the left hand side, under Components/Problem Devices

all the programs that hang seem to be internet related.

I might wait to see if driver verifer finds anything.

May 12, 2021
oldest i see is 22nd March, Windows error reporting doesn't remember before that as I could guess it was when you installed windows.
Yes that's when I reinstalled Windows to see if that was the solution to the crashes. I was getting some before then.

a few weeks ago = almost 2 months?
Sorry lol my perception of time is way off, I actually upgraded around end of September last year. Not sure why I said a few weeks ago. I mainly did the upgrade as to just keep my parts more up to date, but I was getting the odd BSOD with my old parts so I thought it could use some new stuff. Maybe the parts I kept could be the problem then as it happened before the upgrade too?

i assume you know a headset is disabled, it shows in System information, on the left hand side, under Components/Problem Devices
Yes, I disabled it cause the driver came up in one of the minidumps. Thought it might of been the issue. Never bothered to re-enable it as my headset functions just fine.

I'll continue to run the driver verifier and post as soon as it decides to crash again.