Question Various random BSODs throughout the day

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 12, 2021
I updated parts in my system (motherboard, cpu, ram) a few weeks ago and kept my previous parts, and I only had a few BSODs until I wiped my system clean then reinstalled windows. Ever since the reinstall I've been getting 1-3 crashes every single day for no apparent reason. The cause is usually from FLTMGR.SYS or ntoskrnl.exe.

I've run memtest for 1 pass with no fails, uninstalled programs that showed up in some of the minidumps (steam.exe, spotify.exe), and removed some programs that are known to be common causes of crashes (malwarebytes). I ran driver verifier for 8 hours on two separate occasions and couldn't get any BSOD. I've also swapped and reseated the RAM on my mobo but that seemed to not change anything at all.

I'm all out of options and have no idea what it could be.

List of recent BSODs:
  • KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
  • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  • REFERENCE_BY_POINTER

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/d9pvk4wj/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:060721-11828-01.dmp (Jun 7 2021 - 06:21:32)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: nvcontainer.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 51 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
familiar victim. i assume we have tried different Nvidia drivers already

we running out of old parts and 3 crashes have been in gpu software, nvhelper once and nvcontainer twice.

you ran driver verifer multiple times and while PC crashed, it never created a DV dump as such so makes me think its not software. We haven't seen a driver blamed for ages.

Did you run the benchmarks on GPU? the results won't tell me anything, I am more curious if you crash/bsod during them. Not many ways to test GPU really otherwise

May 12, 2021
Did you run the benchmarks on GPU? the results won't tell me anything, I am more curious if you crash/bsod during them. Not many ways to test GPU really otherwise

I can run intensive games at max settings just fine without crashes. I can do a proper benchmark to see if that will change anything but I doubt it.

Can you get into your BIOS?

Yes, the crashes only occur once the PC has been on for a while.

On a different note, I reinstalled Windows to a different SSD today and got a very unusual crash just a few moments ago. It happened when I copy-pasted text from within an email. Gave me a INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM (96). Here's the link for it: http://www.filedropper.com/weirdminidump

Colif

Win 11 Master
Cause
The INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM bug check occurs when KeRemoveQueue removes a queue entry whose flink or blink field is NULL.

You understand that right, I don't need to go on? (stops being silly)
I love new errors... not.
Its noted that this error happens very infrequently... well, yeah, I don't remember it and I been doing this a few years now.

It appears it is a driver error , the solution offered is Driver Verifer which you have tried and it doesn't seem to create the right errors.

Did I ever suggest you try asking on https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/ , they might see something I am missing. They often blame the CPU for people I send over there. Just a second opinion. Can link to this thread in your post, they know of me over there. I can't assist in threads there as they prefer only the person asking questions to reply. They have a few people who do it over there, not just me.

I will see if dump shows anything.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/dobhLrku/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:060921-7390-01.dmp (Jun 9 2021 - 23:12:20)
Bugcheck:INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM (96)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
redundant: windows desktop manager (dwm.exe) sits between applications and GPU drivers

driver verifer doesn't return a crash dump but 3 other (at least) crashes were in Nvidia drivers.

I don't know if this means its the actual GPU. it could be.

are you using the gpu drivers that came with win 10? I see they from October last year.

May 12, 2021
I did do a clean install of Windows so that may have reverted some drivers. I'll be sure to update the gpu drivers and anything else I can remember.

As for posting on the other forums, I'll try and see if they can narrow it down but you have done the most you can and can't find the direct cause.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not perfect, other people can read dumps way better than I can but I do my best.

Its constantly been gpu related even before the reinstall.

That is such an odd error it could be hardware.

I don't see enough Nvidia cards dying to get a sense of what errors might show its the case. Most of the problems I see can be solved with software. Not all.

May 12, 2021
I think it's time for me to provide an update as I'm still utterly confused on how I'm still getting crashes.

First, my motherboard was RMA'd and they sent me a new one. Said it was giving "random POST". Had that installed for 2-3 weeks now but still had daily crashes. Haven't updated BIOS or anything for it.

Second, I replaced my old GPU with a brand new 3060ti the other day as that was the only part not replaced yet. Still got 2 crashes even after wiping drivers and reinstalling them.

Third, I just wiped Windows the other day and didn't login with my Microsoft account so that it was all offline in case the sync was causing issues. Only got to install 3 programs and then it crashed. This was 10-15 mins after the fresh install. PC rebooted, and again 10 mins later a crash. One more reboot and same thing, 10 mins passed and another crash. I never had it this frequent before, and maybe this might provide some info. I'll attach the minidumps in a bit, just need an opportunity to get on and post before it crashes.

I re-ran memtest86 again just to make sure the RAM wasn't an issue, 8 passes complete with 0 errors.

This is driving me crazy at this point. The only things that could be the cause is the case (lol), the cpu (not sure how to test it), or the SSD (very very rare as I've installed Windows on 2 different ones and still had crashes). If anyone can find anything that points to something that would be amazing.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/x7b5yadm/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091121-6734-01.dmp (Sep 11 2021 - 17:07:26)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:091121-6234-01.dmp (Sep 10 2021 - 21:37:34)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:091021-6984-01.dmp (Sep 10 2021 - 21:24:43)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

File information:091021-6906-01.dmp (Sep 10 2021 - 21:29:38)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: nvcontainer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:091021-6703-01.dmp (Sep 10 2021 - 20:14:30)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
dump 1 is possibly gpu drivers
dump 4 victim is GPU drivers
dump 5 was GPU drivers
dxgmms2!VIDMM_WORKER_THREAD::Run+0x933 mentioned in dump 5

wonder what this is part of
Jul 26 2008LibreHardwareMonitorLib.sysLibre Hardware Monitor Library driver

3 of dumps look like GPU, other 2 aren't obvious. Could all be same thing

how did you remove GPU drivers? did you do this? https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

who made new card? You can check their website and see if they have a link to drivers. They all come from Nvidia.

May 12, 2021
Just followed that guide to properly reinstall the drivers. The card is a 3060ti Founders Edition.

Something I just noticed is that Windows update does not work. Every time I try to restart the system to install update 21H1 it says it can't install and undoing changes made. Error 0xe0000100.

Colif

Win 11 Master
21H1 = Feature update = we can use an installer to do it
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

once you have USB, put it in PC that won't update while its running windows
open file explorer
navigate to USB and run setup
this should offer to update current PC
follow wizrd and PC should restart and install 21H1

bonus to installer is you only need to download it once, no repeats

might help to not be plugged into internet when you update, saves it downloading updates.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ves745oc/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:091221-6234-01.dmp (Sep 12 2021 - 21:49:29)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
There might be newer version of Steelseries engine but I doubt that is cause

updating windows hardly ever fixes BSOD, they come along for ride

I am going to have look through this thread (not at 4am) and see if i can see what we missed.

what hardware monitor are you using?
isn't exactly new.

May 12, 2021
what hardware monitor are you using?
isn't exactly new.

I believe this comes from an application called AwesomeMiner, I have it installed thinking I could mine crypto while I'm not using my pc. I had it installed for a few days before the reinstall of Windows and didn't seem to directly cause any crashes.

Side note, I'm now running Linux Mint on another drive and so far no crashes or errors. I'll update if I do get anything.