Question Various RGB components proper connection scheme

Likendor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Hello!

I'm planning my new PC build with RGB lighting. And I'm a bit confused with all these various RGB standards and controllers. Could anyone share his experience and advise please?

I'm planning to get these RGB-parts:

Chassis: Cooler Master COSMOS C700M
CPU cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum
Chassis fans: Corsair ML140 Pro RGB LED (x4)

How should I connect all them? C700M chassis has a built-in fan controller - what if I connect all my Corsair fans to it? Will RGB lighting work properly and be manageable from the software? Or should I use only Corsair controller for Corsair fans? But will chassis RGB lighting still be managable in this variant? Or should I use both controllers? But what and in what to connect then?

I already know that I will need to use some third-party tools like CyanLabs RGB Sync in order to get parts from different manufacturers RGB-synced between each other. However, the hardware connection scheme in order to get all RGB lighting work correctly is not clear for me now. How to get the best result? Maybe someone already had similar build? Could anyone please share your connection scheme for your fans and other RGB compoments?

Mar 20, 2019
The fans come with two connection points, one fan header and one RGB header. The pump comes with a SATA connection to the power supply, a USB connection to the motherboard and a fan header to the motherboard also. However, it also comes with a male fan connector for the included two fans. To connect all the corsair devices I would get a commander pro that is what i'm using right now for my fan and RGB connection. I don't have case led's so I do not quite understand how that works, I don't know if the C700M works with iCUE software. This is a helpful diagram I used in my recent build, hopefully it would help.

Reactions: Likendor

Likendor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Thank you! I've investigated the Corsair forum thread by your link. Now I understanbd that there're 2 types of controllers - for RGB and for fan's speed management. Corsair made 3 controllers... likely to confuse even more. :) If I understood correctly I will need to use 2 of them - Fan LED Hub (to manage fan's lighting) and Commander Pro (to manage the fans themselves). Therefore, for now I see several ways of connection in my case:

1st variant:
  • All fans -> Fan LED Hub (for RGB management)
  • All fans -> Commander Pro (for speed management)
  • FAN Led Hub -> Commander Pro
  • Commander Pro -> MoBo
In this scheme I will be able to manage everything from the Corsair software. Right? But, I will loose an option to control the fans from the buttons on my C700M chassis.

2nd variant:
  • FAN Led Hub -> Lighting Node Pro (for RGB management)
  • Lighting Node Pro -> MoBo (for RGB management)
  • All fans -> C700M built-in fan controller (for speed management)
  • C700M built-in fan controller -> MoBo
In this scheme I will be able to manage RGB from Corsair software, right? And also - fan's speed from C700M buttons. However, I'm not sure if I still be able to control fan's speed from any software. In theory C700M buttons allow to select the mode to control the fans from MoBo. But how exactly it's realized in C700M, and from what software I will be able to control them in this variant (MoBo software, maybe?).

So... Still not everything is clear. Anybody owns C700M here? I'll be appreciated for any advices of how to connect all this stuff in the best way.

Mar 20, 2019
Thank you! I've investigated the Corsair forum thread by your link. Now I understanbd that there're 2 types of controllers - for RGB and for fan's speed management. Corsair made 3 controllers... likely to confuse even more. :) If I understood correctly I will need to use 2 of them - Fan LED Hub (to manage fan's lighting) and Commander Pro (to manage the fans themselves). Therefore, for now I see several ways of connection in my case:

1st variant:
  • All fans -> Commander Pro (for speed management)
  • FAN Led Hub -> Commander Pro
  • Commander Pro -> MoBo
In this scheme I will be able to manage everything from the Corsair software. Right? But, I will loose an option to control the fans from the buttons on my C700M chassis.

2nd variant:
  • FAN Led Hub -> Lighting Node Pro (for RGB management)
  • Lighting Node Pro -> MoBo (for RGB management)
  • All fans -> C700M built-in fan controller (for speed management)
  • C700M built-in fan controller -> MoBo
In this scheme I will be able to manage RGB from Corsair software, right? And also - fan's speed from C700M buttons. However, I'm not sure if I still be able to control fan's speed from any software. In theory C700M buttons allow to select the mode to control the fans from MoBo. But how exactly it's realized in C700M, and from what software I will be able to control them in this variant (MoBo software, maybe?).

So... Still not everything is clear. Anybody owns C700M here? I'll be appreciated for any advices of how to connect all this stuff in the best way.
I'm pretty sure the second variant would work, however I don't know about the software for the case fans. It's up you whether you want to use your fan controls through software or through the case. Maybe try the second way you wanted to connect your fans and try downloading the CoolerMaster software and if that doesn't work you can always switch back to the corsair controller.

Likendor

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
I'm pretty sure the second variant would work, however I don't know about the software for the case fans. It's up you whether you want to use your fan controls through software or through the case. Maybe try the second way you wanted to connect your fans and try downloading the CoolerMaster software and if that doesn't work you can always switch back to the corsair controller.
Thank you. Another indirect confirmation that the 2nd variant would work is the fact that Corsair ML140 Twin Fan Pack contains controllers only for RGB - Lighting Node Pro + RGB Fan LED Hub (no any other controller for the fans themselves). Therefore, I think, Corsair allows us to connect the fans directly to a MoBo or to any other fan-controller.

Yes, I know that I can always re-connect everything as in the 1st variant, but this may require purchasing an additional controller. That's why I'd like to be 100% sure what I'm doing. Until I purchased any parts I always have an opportunity for some parts maneuvering. For example, I can choose a liquid cooler and fans from Thermaltake - most of them are compatible with ASUS Aura, that is great! However, Thermaltake doesn't have these awesome magnetic levitation fans... While the RGB market is a bit crazy, it's hard to decide what is better...

P.S.: I'm trying to choose the "best" parts for my new PC build for several weeks already. I feel myself just like that :):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZA2770_f84