Varying GPU usage results in varying FPS, used to always stay at 100%

TikiPC

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Making this post is my absolute last resort next to bringing my computer to a repair shop, which would pain me deep down inside to do. Recently I upgraded from a AMD 7970 to an Nvidia 1060 6GB G1 Gaming (Gigabyte) and somewhere within the first month or two of having it something went wrong. I feel like I have tried everything and exhausted all my resources. My GPU usage (in afterburner) used to sit at 99% for whatever game I was playing but now in every game I play my GPU usage varies from 60-99%, and the closer to 60% my fps in game goes down dramatically, and vice versa. I have attached to the bottom of this post an image with my gpu temp, gpu usage, fan speed, and cpu equivalent (afterburner information) for the duration of some gameplay. I'm not sure if this provides any information but I replaced my PSU last week and there was no change in this issue.

Computer Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1333 MHz
CPU: Intel 4770K cooled by corsair H60
GPU: Nvidia GTV 1060 6GB G1 Gaming
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Gn0fOls.png

Solution
I don't see any problems there. What in game settings are you using? Are you using presets or custom settings. Try setting the difficulty to max and see if your GPU is still only showing 60-90% usage.

Also, what resolution are you at?
Did you use the Display driver uninstaller to completely remove all program files and registry entries for your previous graphics card before you installed the new card and drivers?

What operating system are you using and when was the last time it was clean installed. Did you perform an upgrade from an older operating system to windows 10?

TikiPC

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

I did use DDU, even did it all over again to reinstall nvidia drivers fresh to no avail. I'm using 10, it was clean installed last about a year ago. I had upgraded from 7 -> 10 and fresh installed 10 about a year later.

Ok, that's good. Hopefully it makes things easier since we can mostly assume that neither of those issues is at play here.

Do me, and you, a favor. Download HWinfo (Not HWmonitor or Open hardware monitor, or any other monitoring utility) and install it.

Download Furmark and run the torture test for your specific resolution.

Open HWinfo and run "Sensors only". Take full screenshots of ALL the sensor values. And actually, take those SAME screenshots before you run Furmark, with nothing running but the desktop so we can have comparative idle values as well.

Post those screenshots here or post links to them. Either way is fine although it's a bit easier if they are posted here for quick reference. You don't really need to reduce the size of the images as the forum software will do it automatically plus it will allow you to expand the image for easier viewing at the larger size.

Anyhow, that might allow us to look for any discrenpancies in what's going on with the hardware while it's under a load. That MSI graph is nice but it lacks specific values, which is what we need to look at. Also, running Furmark should force the card to 100% GPU usage, and if it doesn't then we KNOW something is wrong.

My first suspicion is that it's strictly a card issue, but it might not be. Other things like PCI circuit on the motherboard, CPU not keeping up or even driver version problems could be at play.

Do you know if your card has updateable firmware and whether it is on the latest firmware or not? There could be a great many things in play causing this but lets take a look at the sensor information first and go from there.

Furmark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

HWinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

TikiPC

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

Hello, there is no updateable firmware on my gpu it seems. I did the furmark test and have the screenshots from before and during testing.

BEFORE TESTING:

1:
ykLIUEb.png

2:
mzw7Wz6.png

3:
C815wv5.png

4:
YeuParG.png

DURING TESTING:

1:
hXELyDg.png

2:
B58FuIk.png

3:
hFsfW74.png

4:
pfyoZ9q.png

Bonus: here is afterburner during testing (it should be fairly obvious when I was testing)

Image:
p2WEg92.png

I don't see any problems there. What in game settings are you using? Are you using presets or custom settings. Try setting the difficulty to max and see if your GPU is still only showing 60-90% usage.

Also, what resolution are you at?

Solution