[SOLVED] Vastly differing WiFi speeds.

Feb 27, 2022
Hello!

I thought I'd come on here and ask about this issue since I've been struggling with this one myself for awhile. Recently set up a new network with about 50Mbp/s down on my devices.
The problem comes though that this speed seems to apply sometimes and not other times. For example if I do a speedtest on speedtest.net I will consistently get this result on my pc but if I do any other I've yet to try it's consistently like 5-10Mbp/s.
This applies only to my PC where on mobile devices its consistently the 50Mbp/s speed. Initially I thought PC hardware but when using any non browser download service, steam for example I will get the full speed. Any practical browser use I have tried thus far I will get the reduced speed when downloading files or streaming. This is consistent across browsers as I have tested Edge, Firefox and Chrome. Strangely though with task manager open all of the aforementioned browsers will use 50Mbp/s when using only the Ookla speedtest but for nothing else. I've checked for malware, reset my browsers, deleted all extensions, messed with hardware acceleration etc. and I cannot find why my speed is up to 10x slower when using any browser or speedtest but not for specifically the Ookla speedtest.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Solution
Try turning off IPv6 support in your pc if it is enabled. You get all kinds of strangeness when some connections use IPv4 and others IPv6.

Make sure you do not have any of the so called "gamer" network software installed. It many times comes with the bloatware packaged with motherboards or graphic cards. Any thing that talks about QoS or giving priority to certain traffic should be uninstalled.

Note be very sure you are not confusing Mbit/sec and Mbyte/sec. Downloads are almost always MBytes where network stuff tends to be Mbits and unfortunately the network tab in the resource monitor uses some of both.
Try turning off IPv6 support in your pc if it is enabled. You get all kinds of strangeness when some connections use IPv4 and others IPv6.

Make sure you do not have any of the so called "gamer" network software installed. It many times comes with the bloatware packaged with motherboards or graphic cards. Any thing that talks about QoS or giving priority to certain traffic should be uninstalled.

Note be very sure you are not confusing Mbit/sec and Mbyte/sec. Downloads are almost always MBytes where network stuff tends to be Mbits and unfortunately the network tab in the resource monitor uses some of both.

Solution