VATSIM Expriance

After years of trying to get on Vatsim with squakebox SBhost etc and failing
every time and not being able to work out why, I eventually got on with the
release of SB3. Absolutely fantastic I have to say. Controllers are very
friendly, but it is very daunting at first. I initial started at kLAX and
did a circuit, my mind went blank completely with what to say and the
controller at the time was a bit stressed with a fair few planes. Tonight I
carried out my second flight I went to Biggin and luckily it was just me and
the controller for a while. He taught me things about ATC speak, since using
the ' 1 4 etc in FS to do ATC really doesn't go in as much as you think,
well for me anyway.

So I did some bigging flying and then some VFR flying in to Heathrow and
back, even though I am not allowed but it was dead around there with no
controller so it was ok. I then carried on doing some VFR flying around
biggin and Rochester and headcorn, talking to the Thames approach the whole
way round.

So my advice for anyone wanting to join Vatsim. Don't be nervous, learn a
few things about ATC and airspaces and start at a small airport but which
has a controller like bigging was for my experience, and go practice your
circuits or IFR flying or whatever, I learnt quite alot about navigation
around and its so much nicer having real people around

So anyone that's a bit worried, don't be, start small and you can practice
your flying what ever it maybe, with real ATC, real people, and alot of help
there for you.
--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I second what Chris has posted here. Sounds like your experience was very
similar to mine. I, too, tried SB2 with no joy. . . laid off a year or so
and tried again with similar no connection result. I downloaded SB3 the day
I saw a post on this group that it was available. I was connected in less
than 30 minutes after starting the download. The Biggin ATC controller
posts here occasionally as well as London City. I am sure he will be happy
to see your post. Not sure about UK but some USA ARTCC areas have their own
website with plenty of charts approach plates and a pilot survey to leave
feedback, good or bad. I had one bad instruction from ATC so far. But it
was not a catastrophic experience. I was Flying heading three zero
zero(approx). Approach controller turned me to heading "one niner zero to
intercept localizer". It was for runway 20L, so that turn actually turned
me away from the g/s. Thinking he knew, I went ahead and turned ( navigate
then communicate) then asked for confirmation but he never came back and he
disconnected from the server. It really adds enjoyment to the sim. I also
run FSNavigator connected and can see the other planes within 100 miles or
so.
Like Chris said. Get involved. It is easy and ATC guys have always been
patient and helpful. Get connected with SB3. Go to an airport that has ATC,
park in an out of the way space then sit and monitor the goings on. Try to
copy the clearance direction the Tower gives the pilot to get the "hang" of
how it flows.
Danny

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:16:37 GMT, Chris Harries wrote:

> After years of trying to get on Vatsim with squakebox SBhost etc and failing
> every time and not being able to work out why, I eventually got on with the
> release of SB3. Absolutely fantastic I have to say.

Now that the durn software is installed correctly, I find that I'm STILL
LOCKED OUT of VATSIM...

I received a very nice note from VATUSA1 yesterday assuring me that the
LOCK would be removed by 13:36 GMT *yesterday*, but here it is over 24
hours after that time and I'm STILL unable to connect...

I am throughly disgusted!

Bill

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bill Leaming wrote:

>>After years of trying to get on Vatsim with squakebox SBhost etc and failing
>>every time and not being able to work out why, I eventually got on with the
>>release of SB3. Absolutely fantastic I have to say.
>

> Now that the durn software is installed correctly, I find that I'm STILL
> LOCKED OUT of VATSIM...

I'm reading the forums and my problem isn't unique but it only is
happening to a few people. SB3 does not see the FSUIPC and tells me to
install it. Well, I did. and did, and did.............

I may have to register the FSUIPC although I read it isn't required.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

no mine isn't registered. Maybe a hole FS installation is required

--
"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> Bill Leaming wrote:
>

>>>After years of trying to get on Vatsim with squakebox SBhost etc and
>>>failing every time and not being able to work out why, I eventually got
>>>on with the release of SB3. Absolutely fantastic I have to say.
>>

>> Now that the durn software is installed correctly, I find that I'm STILL
>> LOCKED OUT of VATSIM...
>
> I'm reading the forums and my problem isn't unique but it only is
> happening to a few people. SB3 does not see the FSUIPC and tells me to
> install it. Well, I did. and did, and did.............
>
> I may have to register the FSUIPC although I read it isn't required.
>

> --
>
> boB
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Yes sitting on the airfield and listening to the traffic is a very good
idea. Its good to file a flight plan which stats that you are doing this but
its what I did for the first few minutes to understand things. Its a good
way to learn

--
"DANNY" <drmckee@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> way round.
>>
>> So my advice for anyone wanting to join Vatsim. Don't be nervous, learn a
>> few things about ATC and airspaces and start at a small airport but which
>> has a controller like bigging was for my experience, and go practice your
>> circuits or IFR flying or whatever, I learnt quite alot about navigation
>> around and its so much nicer having real people around
>>
>> So anyone that's a bit worried, don't be, start small and you can
>> practice
>> your flying what ever it maybe, with real ATC, real people, and alot of
> help
>> there for you.
>> --
>> www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
>> www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
>> I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Chris Harries wrote:

> no mine isn't registered. Maybe a hole FS installation is required

Back when you needed all those programs to connect I did manage to log
about 3 hours on VATSIM. Even held a conversation with a controller at
Las Vegas.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> no mine isn't registered. Maybe a hole FS installation is required
>
> --
> www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
> www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
> I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar
> --
> "boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message

>>> Now that the durn software is installed correctly, I find that I'm STILL
>>> LOCKED OUT of VATSIM...
>>
>> I'm reading the forums and my problem isn't unique but it only is
>> happening to a few people. SB3 does not see the FSUIPC and tells me to
>> install it. Well, I did. and did, and did.............
>>
>> I may have to register the FSUIPC although I read it isn't required.

Bob... before doing a complete reinstall of FS9, give FSInn a test run
to experience VATSIM. You can get FSInn at http://www.mcdu.com/download .

-- L. James
--
--------------------------------
L. D. James

Tim

DANNY wrote:
> [...]
>> flying around biggin and Rochester and headcorn, talking to the
>> Thames approach the whole way round.
>>
>> So my advice for anyone wanting to join Vatsim. Don't be nervous,
>> learn a few things about ATC and airspaces and start at a small
>> airport but which has a controller like bigging was for my
>> experience, and go practice your circuits or IFR flying or whatever,
>> I learnt quite alot about navigation around and its so much nicer
>> having real people around
>>
>> So anyone that's a bit worried, don't be, start small and you can
>> practice your flying what ever it maybe, with real ATC, real people,
>> and alot of help there for you.
>> --
>> www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
>> www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.
>> I apologise now for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar

Brings a tear to my eye...glad to see my services are appreciated ;-)

Come back any time, you're more than welcome!

Regards,

Tim

(Biggin Tower/Approach controller)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

L. D. James wrote:

> Bob... before doing a complete reinstall of FS9, give FSInn a test run
> to experience VATSIM. You can get FSInn at http://www.mcdu.com/download .
>
> -- L. James

Thanks. I am going through the install procedures and will see what
happens tonight. It should work, it looks to be very easy. Thanks for
the suggestion.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:29:15 -0400, Bill Leaming wrote:

> Now that the durn software is installed correctly, I find that I'm STILL
> LOCKED OUT of VATSIM...

Problem solved after a nice exchange with the head honcho of VATSIM,
Harvey... ;)

Bill

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:31:38 GMT, boB wrote:

> I'm reading the forums and my problem isn't unique but it only is
> happening to a few people. SB3 does not see the FSUIPC and tells me to
> install it. Well, I did. and did, and did.............
>
> I may have to register the FSUIPC although I read it isn't required.

That is odd, considering that SB3 *installs* the latest version of FSUIPC!
Surely it knows the proper path, since it had to know that to install it!

My problem was that I keep FSUIPC flagged as READ ONLY to prevent some
half-witted installer from overwriting my copy with what may well be an
older version! Once I removed the READ ONLY flag and renamed the .dll
file, SB3 finally would complete the installation.

Bill

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:04:53 GMT, Tim wrote:

> Brings a tear to my eye...glad to see my services are appreciated ;-)
> Come back any time, you're more than welcome!
> Regards,
> Tim
> (Biggin Tower/Approach controller)

Would you call this "begging for Biggin?" :)

I might have to warp across the pond one of these days and come visit! ;)

Bill

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

boB wrote:

> L. D. James wrote:
>

>> Bob... before doing a complete reinstall of FS9, give FSInn a
>> test run to experience VATSIM. You can get FSInn at
>> http://www.mcdu.com/download .
>>
>> -- L. James
>

> Thanks. I am going through the install procedures and will see what
> happens tonight. It should work, it looks to be very easy. Thanks for
> the suggestion.

Now isn't that neat! Installed FSInn and connected to VATSIM. Flew a
local flight around KPKB for an hour but on final to the airport, I got
the message

"Instructor has left the session"

And I was no longer connected. But that's ok, I was connected for an
hour or so. I wonder why SB3 won't work?????

But that was just the quick connect feature. Time to read the big PDF.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Bill Leaming wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:31:38 GMT, boB wrote:
>

>>I'm reading the forums and my problem isn't unique but it only is
>>happening to a few people. SB3 does not see the FSUIPC and tells me to
>>install it. Well, I did. and did, and did.............
>>
>>I may have to register the FSUIPC although I read it isn't required.
>

> That is odd, considering that SB3 *installs* the latest version of FSUIPC!
> Surely it knows the proper path, since it had to know that to install it!
>
> My problem was that I keep FSUIPC flagged as READ ONLY to prevent some
> half-witted installer from overwriting my copy with what may well be an
> older version! Once I removed the READ ONLY flag and renamed the .dll
> file, SB3 finally would complete the installation.
>
> Bill

I know, I was reading your messages trying to glean a hint of what I was
doing wrong. I never changed the attributes, just left it a virgin
directory and also can't figure out why SB3 can't see FSUIPC. I do have
FSInn working as far as logging on to VATSIM but haven't tried voice
commo yet. I'm hoping that works as well. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

boB wrote:

I do have
> FSInn working as far as logging on to VATSIM but haven't tried voice
> commo yet. I'm hoping that works as well. :)

The reason I haven't tried yet, Gabriella laughed. so there! :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On 2005-04-20, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote:

[snip]

> I might have to warp across the pond one of these days and come visit! ;)

Just don't bring anything too big, Biggin Hill is IIRC quite small.

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.

ahh its good to see some more people getting on. I like the fact that in the
afternoon and evening I can fly around England and Europe, hut at 10pm most
people log off so I can then hop over to America and carry on flying on
Vatsim throughout the night. I have made 2 flights in the ol'yankyville, and
1 flight in Germany, but the majority is in England, I think a longer
UK-Europe flight is in order.

I have downloaded FSInn but get alot of errors when trying to use it and
then the panel just freezes and I cant get rid of it..the FSInn panel I mean
not the plane panel, I might give it another go tonight

--
"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:29:15 -0400, Bill Leaming wrote:
>
>> Now that the durn software is installed correctly, I find that I'm STILL
>> LOCKED OUT of VATSIM...
>
> Problem solved after a nice exchange with the head honcho of VATSIM,
> Harvey... ;)
>
> Bill

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Chris Harries wrote:

> ahh its good to see some more people getting on. I like the fact that in the
> afternoon and evening I can fly around England and Europe, hut at 10pm most
> people log off so I can then hop over to America and carry on flying on
> Vatsim throughout the night. I have made 2 flights in the ol'yankyville, and
> 1 flight in Germany, but the majority is in England, I think a longer
> UK-Europe flight is in order.
>
> I have downloaded FSInn but get alot of errors when trying to use it and
> then the panel just freezes and I cant get rid of it..the FSInn panel I mean
> not the plane panel, I might give it another go tonight

I think there's Gremlins afoot. They all react differently to each of us
so we have different things to talk about. I still can't get SB3 to
recognize FSUIPC. But FSInn is working ok.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:45:45 GMT, boB wrote:

> I know, I was reading your messages trying to glean a hint of what I was
> doing wrong. I never changed the attributes, just left it a virgin
> directory and also can't figure out why SB3 can't see FSUIPC. I do have
> FSInn working as far as logging on to VATSIM but haven't tried voice
> commo yet. I'm hoping that works as well. :)

While I was out-and-about yesterday, I bought a hang-off-your-ear mono
headset w/ 2.5 mm plug. Being eminently practical (read: cheap!) I wanted
to be able to use this both for my cell phone (the only phone I have!) as
well as with SB3.

I dropped by Radio Shack and spent a few bucks on a Y Adapter Audio Cable
(42-2428) that converts the 2.5 mm stereo plug into two pigtails with
1/8th inch stereo plugs, which are conveniently labled MICROPHONE and
HEADPHONE.

It works wonderfully! It's kinda cool to be able to simply "plug in" to
the cell phone or the computer quickly... ;)

Bill

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:57:33 -0000, Justin C wrote:

> On 2005-04-20, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I might have to warp across the pond one of these days and come visit! ;)
>
> Just don't bring anything too big, Biggin Hill is IIRC quite small.

Oh, I wouldn't fly anything larger than a CJ1. Most typically though I'll
either be in the Cirrus SR20G2 or a TB20GT... ;)

Bill

Tim

Justin C wrote:
> On 2005-04-20, Bill Leaming <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I might have to warp across the pond one of these days and come
>> visit! ;)
>
> Just don't bring anything too big, Biggin Hill is IIRC quite small.
>
> Justin.

Main runway (21/03) is 1802m x 45m, so it's a fair size. IRL, the ILS is
only on 21, though FS9 puts one on 03 too I think. In VATSIM, a 03 approach
under IFR means approaching on the ILS for 21 then carrying out a circle to
land procedure for 03.

Tim

that is very odd boB but at least your on with something now, but I think
FSInn is just squakebox backend with a whole load of features added. I could
be wrong and they are not using SB but that's what I thought

--

> that is very odd boB but at least your on with something now, but I think
> FSInn is just squakebox backend with a whole load of features added. I
> could be wrong and they are not using SB but that's what I thought

Chris. FSInn is in no way a clone of Squawkbox. It was developed
totally independently while being compatible with the FSD server. This is
why it looks different.

There were some specifics that VATSIM wanted, which were implemented.
Most of the similarity that you see other than that is coincidental. FSInn
was being used a long time before the release of SB3. It was being used on
various private and small FSD servers.

-- L. James

------------
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Chris Harries wrote:

> that is very odd boB but at least your on with something now, but I think
> FSInn is just squakebox backend with a whole load of features added. I could
> be wrong and they are not using SB but that's what I thought

Yes, and I have the AVC loaded and will check the voice later, when
Gabriella isn't 8 feet away on her computer. Her laughter would probably
break my concentration and I'd forget what I wanted to say. :)

I was on the Rana forum and with his help I was able to get the Modules
directory set up with the latest FSUIPC and now my Moving Map is back. I
am not brave enough yet to try SB3, but maybe in the future. FSInn is
simple and with AVC should be all I need. Fingers crossed.

--

SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)