VCR quality difference?

Shawn

Do different makes and models of VCR make much difference for playing
VHS tapes for recording on the computer?

"Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:40903859.13C43305@spam.com...
> Do different makes and models of VCR make much difference for playing
> VHS tapes for recording on the computer?

I would at least make sure it was a four head HIFI stereo unit and have an
Svideo output if you've got any SVHS tapes and an Svideo input on your
capture card/device. I'm not certain if regular VHS would look better thru
the Svideo and I'm sure others here can give you more tech features to look
for.
-Marty

"Marty Monaco" <dynalab@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> "Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:40903859.13C43305@spam.com...
> > Do different makes and models of VCR make much difference for playing
> > VHS tapes for recording on the computer?

> I would at least make sure it was a four head HIFI stereo unit and have an
> Svideo output if you've got any SVHS tapes and an Svideo input on your
> capture card/device. I'm not certain if regular VHS would look better thru
> the Svideo and I'm sure others here can give you more tech features to look
> for.
> -Marty

I've never seen a VHS deck with "S" connectors - only SVHS
decks...
--
David Ruether
rpn1@cornell.edu

Shawn wrote:
> Do different makes and models of VCR make much difference for playing
> VHS tapes for recording on the computer?

Yes.

It's not a question of Company A vs. Company B so much as a quality
parts issue. By going with a more expensive player, you get features
like SVHS which requires better electronics to support it, which
benefits VHS playback as well.

I did an informal test of 3 different JVC machines once. One was a
consumer-level VHS-only unit, the next added low-end SVHS support, and
the third was JVC's top-end pro-sumer SVHS unit with TBC and all the
other goodies. The top-end unit gave easily noticeable improvements to
recording and playback results over the other two. The difference
between the first two was pretty small when compared VHS to VHS. The
price range? Probably $100 for the low-end player, ~$200 for the middle
one, and $500 for the top-end one.

"David Ruether" <rpn1@no-junk.cornell.edu> wrote in message

> "Marty Monaco" <dynalab@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > "Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> > > Do different makes and models of VCR make much difference for playing
> > > VHS tapes for recording on the computer?
>
> > I would at least make sure it was a four head HIFI stereo unit and have
an
> > Svideo output if you've got any SVHS tapes and an Svideo input on your
> > capture card/device. I'm not certain if regular VHS would look better
thru
> > the Svideo and I'm sure others here can give you more tech features to
look
> > for.
> > -Marty
>
> I've never seen a VHS deck with "S" connectors - only SVHS
> decks...
> --
> David Ruether
> rpn1@cornell.edu
> http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

Sorry... I didn't express myself correctly... what I meant was that you
could get a SVHS deck and play both SVHS and VHS, but I wasn't sure if the
regular VHS would show any improvement being fed thru the Svideo cable.
-Marty

>Sorry... I didn't express myself correctly... what I meant was that you
>could get a SVHS deck and play both SVHS and VHS, but I wasn't sure if the
>regular VHS would show any improvement being fed thru the Svideo cable.
>-Marty

All SVHS VCRs can both play and record SVHS and VHS. If the SVHS machine is
working correctly, and the original VHS tape (recorded on a different machine
that was working correctly...within specs), then you will get better results
playing the old tape in the SVHS machine. Note all the qualifications. Also
note that if you're viewing the video on a display (TV or monitor) incapable of
displaying SVHS-quality signals, then you won't be able to see most of the
differences.

A poor VHS original (multi-generation copy, poor mechanical alignment in the
recorder, deteriorated/damaged tape, etc) isn't going to be "improved" by
playing it on a good SVHS machine. You may or may not be able to see more of
the what's left on the tape...but it may be worse in terms of stability.

If the original, old, VHS tape was recorded at less-than-SP speed, all defects
are magnified as the tape ages. Again, a well-designed, properly functioning
SVHS machine may provide a better-looking output than the machine that recorded
it...not because its "adding" anything to the signal, but because it is
reconstructing what remains on the tapel better than the playback circuitry in
the original machine was designed to do. And that may be visible.
webpa

I have seen a number of VHS decks with S CONNECTORS. That does not make
it an S deck, i.e, they will not record in S format.

There are also quasi-S decks. These decks will PLAY S tapes, but not
record in S format. S format recording is the key.

David Ruether wrote:

> "Marty Monaco" <dynalab@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > "Shawn" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:40903859.13C43305@spam.com...
> > > Do different makes and models of VCR make much difference for playing
> > > VHS tapes for recording on the computer?
>
> > I would at least make sure it was a four head HIFI stereo unit and have an
> > Svideo output if you've got any SVHS tapes and an Svideo input on your
> > capture card/device. I'm not certain if regular VHS would look better thru
> > the Svideo and I'm sure others here can give you more tech features to look
> > for.
> > -Marty
>
> I've never seen a VHS deck with "S" connectors - only SVHS
> decks...
> --
> David Ruether
> rpn1@cornell.edu
> http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
stauffer@usfamily.net

>I have seen a number of VHS decks with S CONNECTORS. That does not make
>it an S deck, i.e, they will not record in S format.
>
>There are also quasi-S decks. These decks will PLAY S tapes, but not
>record in S format. S format recording is the key.

Please cite a manufacturer and/or model number.
webpa

Rich

"WEBPA" <webpa@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I have seen a number of VHS decks with S CONNECTORS. That does not make
> >it an S deck, i.e, they will not record in S format.
> >
> >There are also quasi-S decks. These decks will PLAY S tapes, but not
> >record in S format. S format recording is the key.
> >

> Please cite a manufacturer and/or model number.
> webpa

VHS play and record SVHS playback only usually labled "quasi-S" compatible
and usually SVHS playback in VHS resolution:

JVC SR-T5U VHS
SONY SLV-N750
Zenth XBV343

Rich