Question VDroop and Q6600 overclock problems on Asus P5K ?

Jul 4, 2022
Trying to overclock a Q6600 G0 on an Asus P5K motherboard and CPU-Z is really throwing me for a loop.
Leaving everything set to auto gets me a Vcore of about 1.088~1.1 both at idle and load.
This seems ridiculously small given my VID of 1.2125
Trying to overclock it from 2.4GHz to 3.0 by doing 9x333 had me up the voltage to 1.3 since this is what most people recommend.

However it seems there’s an issue with the newer P5K bioses that cause a 0.1 volt difference between what’s set in the bios and what’s actually supplied.
At 1.45 bios voltage I get 1.320 at idle and running Prime95 I’m getting 1.288, 1.264, and a minimum of 1.256 vcore.
So not only is there a difference of 0.1 from the bios to reality, I have a VDroop of around 0.7~0.8
Asus P5K bios also seems to have LLC be nonfunctional so that’s great

My questions are:
1: is it safe to pencil mod the board in order to eliminate VDroop ?
2: should I downgrade the Bios from software since EZFlash won’t allow it ?
3: is 1.1 vcore on auto safe? Or is that a side effect of the 0.1v bios bug ? I’ll try running Prime95 on auto for 24 hours to test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It has been a long time. but I don't recall having to need to add any voltage to get to 3Ghz. It was pushing past that that needed some tweaking.

If it is stable and the temperatures aren't too bad, I would just leave it. Not exactly the most valuable chip any longer. Like $10 on ebay.

Reactions: Ratman43
Jul 4, 2022
It has been a long time. but I don't recall having to need to add any voltage to get to 3Ghz. It was pushing past that that needed some tweaking.

If it is stable and the temperatures aren't too bad, I would just leave it. Not exactly the most valuable chip any longer. Like $10 on ebay.
Leaving it on auto and stock clock I ran Prime95 for 8 hours with no issues, was showing around 1.1 for the vcore.
Bumped up to 3GHz and upped Vcore to 1.375 in the bios getting me 1.3 at idle and 1.23 at load with temps of 67 on the first two cores and 61 on the third and fourth, P95 Small FFTs has been stable for the past 14 hours.
Ideally once I get the 1066 ram I ordered (20 bucks for 8 gigs, how could I refuse?) I’ll be able to bump it to 3.2 with a FSB of 400 to get the ram running at 800, but I’m worried that would mean upping the NB voltage which I doubt I have the cooling to handle.

I’m still just confused that leaving it on auto gives me a Vcore of 1.112 which is exactly 0.1 less than the VID.
People have said the P5K bios has a 0.1 volt discrepancy when you set it manually which I’ve noticed myself, but is that also affecting the auto setting?

Jul 4, 2022
Yeah if you want something I a bit more fun I would go with a q9650. But if you are happy where you are at, that's all that matters at the end of the day.
System is so old I don’t see too much of a point in upgrading it (hypocritical considering I have been and should have just chucked it after pulling the drives out which was all I wanted to do in the first place), but I have been having a lot of fun messing with it, overclocking included.

Reactions: storm-chaser