Vectrex Logic Board Graphic

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Ron, that is a truly beautiful piece of work - you have some real talent.

I'm definitely going to get it framed and have it pride of place on the wall
of my lab.

Thankyou !

Richard H.

"netnews.insightbb.com" <ok@ok.com> writes:
> I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
> Should be suitable for framing..

Very nice! Thanks!

A question for those of you that have looked at the a lot of Vectrex
logic boards: do all Vectrexes have the same selection of chips
socketed? The parts list in the service manual lists enough sockets
for all 13 chips, but Ron's drawing only appears to show sockets for
six of them (those with an asterisk in this list):

* IC201: 8K*8 ROM
IC202: 74LS00
IC203: 74LS32
IC204: 2114 RAM
IC205: 2114 RAM
IC206: MC68A09 CPU
* IC207: 6522 VIA
* IC208: GI AY-3-8912 sound
* IC301: MC1408P8 DAC
* IC302: 4052B or MC14052B mux
* IC303: LF347/TL084/MC34004P quad opamp
IC304: LF353/TL082/MC34002P dual opamp
IC305: 4066B or MC14066B transmission gates

In particular, I'm curious whether all units have the ROM socketed.

From a manufacturing point of view, it would make sense to omit most or
all of the sockets. The direct cost is obviously lower, but there is
also the indirect benefit that soldered connections are more reliable
than socketed connections, resulting in fewer returns.

Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Thanks,

I did draw it as it was, and those are the ones, at least on my only vectrex
board, that were in sockets. I really try to keep them as accurate as I can.
I even do my best to have all the resistor color codes correct, though I
will remove a heat sink sometimes to show the actual chip.

I have noticed on other systems, computers and games, that it can vary
between boards. I am cleaning up some atari 5200 boards and one has most of
the chips socketed, while the other only has the larger ones socketed and
both show the same revision number.

I wish it was law that all chips had to be in a socket :>)

I always try to add one whenever I have to switch one out...

Ron

"Eric Smith" <eric-no-spam-for-me@brouhaha.com> wrote in message
> "netnews.insightbb.com" <ok@ok.com> writes:
>> I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>> Should be suitable for framing..
>
> Very nice! Thanks!
>
> A question for those of you that have looked at the a lot of Vectrex
> logic boards: do all Vectrexes have the same selection of chips
> socketed? The parts list in the service manual lists enough sockets
> for all 13 chips, but Ron's drawing only appears to show sockets for
> six of them (those with an asterisk in this list):
>
> * IC201: 8K*8 ROM
> IC202: 74LS00
> IC203: 74LS32
> IC204: 2114 RAM
> IC205: 2114 RAM
> IC206: MC68A09 CPU
> * IC207: 6522 VIA
> * IC208: GI AY-3-8912 sound
> * IC301: MC1408P8 DAC
> * IC302: 4052B or MC14052B mux
> * IC303: LF347/TL084/MC34004P quad opamp
> IC304: LF353/TL082/MC34002P dual opamp
> IC305: 4066B or MC14066B transmission gates
>
> In particular, I'm curious whether all units have the ROM socketed.
>
> From a manufacturing point of view, it would make sense to omit most or
> all of the sockets. The direct cost is obviously lower, but there is
> also the indirect benefit that soldered connections are more reliable
> than socketed connections, resulting in fewer returns.

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi,

Great picture! Do you have anymore boards in the pipeline?

Reminds me of the times when I was a kid I would take things
apart to gawp in wonder at the magical chips that made
things work. Little wonder that these days I'm an electronic
engineer. At my place of work we have display cabinets that show
old computer components and motherboards. Might be
fun (and totally nerdy) to have something like that at home lol

I had a Vectrex in the 80s and it was a cherished piece of
treasure. I would take the cover off once a month or so to
clean out the dust!

I donated the Vec to my brother when I left home (a sad day)
and only recently bought another on EBay; this one is
staying on one piece though!

Best regards,
Paul

netnews.insightbb.com wrote:
> I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>
> Should be suitable for framing..
>
> If you are using IE be sure to expand the graphic to see all the detail....
>
> It can be found at:
>
> http://www.mainbyte.com/vectrex/vectrex.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Paul.. thanks..

Yes I have several done already.. atari 2600 (4switch), commodore 64, TI 99,
VIC 20, ZX81, TRS Color Computer, and a Geneve, I am getting ready to work
on an Atari 5200, an Intellivision, and a colecovision.

I am not sure what the deal is, but these old boards look like art to me :>)

Ron

"Paul Williams" <paulw@informatics.bangor.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Great picture! Do you have anymore boards in the pipeline?
>
> Reminds me of the times when I was a kid I would take things
> apart to gawp in wonder at the magical chips that made
> things work. Little wonder that these days I'm an electronic
> engineer. At my place of work we have display cabinets that show
> old computer components and motherboards. Might be
> fun (and totally nerdy) to have something like that at home lol
>
> I had a Vectrex in the 80s and it was a cherished piece of
> treasure. I would take the cover off once a month or so to
> clean out the dust!
>
> I donated the Vec to my brother when I left home (a sad day)
> and only recently bought another on EBay; this one is
> staying on one piece though!
>
> Best regards,
> Paul
>
> netnews.insightbb.com wrote:
>> I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>>
>> Should be suitable for framing..
>>
>> If you are using IE be sure to expand the graphic to see all the
>> detail....
>>
>> It can be found at:
>>
>> http://www.mainbyte.com/vectrex/vectrex.jpg
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>>Yes I have several done already.. atari 2600 (4switch), commodore 64, TI 99, VIC 20, ZX81, TRS Color Computer, and a Geneve, I am getting ready to work on an Atari 5200, an Intellivision, and a colecovision.<<

Wow Ron!! What art! I wish I had a color printer to make these and
show! I would like to have the Vectrex and the Atari 2600 versions!

You should promote these at the Atariage.com website!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, Ga

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Hi Ron,

Can I put it on my site?

Jeroen
www.vectrex.nl
"netnews.insightbb.com" <ok@ok.com> schreef in bericht
>I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>
> Should be suitable for framing..
>
> If you are using IE be sure to expand the graphic to see all the
> detail....
>
> It can be found at:
>
> http://www.mainbyte.com/vectrex/vectrex.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Rob,

Contact me by email at the below site with your mailing address and I will
mail them to you.

Ron

http://www.mainbyte.com/motherboards/mb_graphics.html

"Rob Mitchell" <"solder_guy"@(what_is_this)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>Yes I have several done already.. atari 2600 (4switch), commodore 64, TI
>>>99, VIC 20, ZX81, TRS Color Computer, and a Geneve, I am getting ready
>>>to work on an Atari 5200, an Intellivision, and a colecovision.<<
>
> Wow Ron!! What art! I wish I had a color printer to make these and
> show! I would like to have the Vectrex and the Atari 2600 versions!
>
> You should promote these at the Atariage.com website!
>
> Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, Ga

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

>>Contact me by email at the below site with your mailing address and I will mail them to you.<<

Gosh! Gulp! Thanks Ron! Merry Christmas!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Yes, no problem.. In fact I have had a lot of response on this and my other
motherboards that I have thrown a little page together.

"www.vectrex.nl" <vectrex@nl> wrote in message
> Hi Ron,
>
> Can I put it on my site?
>
> Jeroen
> www.vectrex.nl
> "netnews.insightbb.com" <ok@ok.com> schreef in bericht
>>I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>>
>> Should be suitable for framing..
>>
>> If you are using IE be sure to expand the graphic to see all the
>> detail....
>>
>> It can be found at:
>>
>> http://www.mainbyte.com/vectrex/vectrex.jpg
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

netnews.insightbb.com wrote:
> I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>
> Should be suitable for framing..
>
> If you are using IE be sure to expand the graphic to see all the
detail....

> It can be found at:
>
> http://www.mainbyte.com/vectrex/vectrex.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

WOW Ron - awsome graphic!

Now, how long did it take you to draw this? What application did you
use to
get it to look so good? Did the application do most of the work or did
you
have to do lots of manual drawing?

Peteski

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Despite all prevention efforts, "Ron" <ok@ok.com> wrote in

> I wish it was law that all chips had to be in a socket :>)

I'm with you on that one!

--
Slor

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

"netnews.insightbb.com" <ok@ok.com> wrote in

> I have completed my drawing of the Vectrex Logic Board.
>
> Should be suitable for framing..
>
> If you are using IE be sure to expand the graphic to see all the
> detail....
>
> It can be found at:
>
> http://www.mainbyte.com/vectrex/vectrex.jpg
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Super Cool!

I'll frame this!

Thanks a lot!

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Thanks for the info Ron.

So, everything is traced manually using the scan as a template. Wow!
As I said before - superb job!

Peteski

Ron

Archived from groups: rec.games.vectrex (More info?)

Peteski

Thanks for your nice comments. I use Paint shop pro to do the graphics. I
probably have 15 hours in each one. It is done manually, but I do keep all
the components so it gets easier as I go along. The biggest job is the
circuit board.. lots of traces..

I scan the board at 600dpi and then use layers above it for all the
different parts. I use the scan so I can keep it as accurate as possible
but that is all it is used for, nothing gets converted.

Ron