Question Vega 56 CF vs Radeon VII?

Gosraj

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Just curious, which would be more powerful, crossfiring two Vega 56s or a single Radeon VII? Specifically at 1440p

Even though the CF setup might beat the R7, I wouldn't actually recommend going for CFX, or SLI for that matter. Not many games scale well in CF and SLI mode. You also need a beefy PSU for such rigs, and the power consumption/heat is more, than on a SINGLE GPU system.

I always go for the most powerful single GPU available on my budget...But this is just me and my opinion. You need to decide what might suit your gaming needs. I think you should go for the Radeon V11 instead ? BTW, does your MOBO support CFX ?

Also, list your RIG's full PC specs.

Last edited:
you may want to wait 2-3 months for Navi to hit. Since this new rumour maybe true that it is coming sooner than we think.

FYI, I think only the "mainstream" NAVI cards are going to get released this year, IMO. Not any high-end GPUs, since these are slated for next year, i.e. 2020. AMD has also confirmed there won't be high-end NAVI cards, at least this year.

Though, I can't comment on the performance of these mainstream cards, or whether they can compete with other current high-end cards..

FYI, I think only the "mainstream" NAVI cards are going to get released this year, IMO. Not any high-end GPUs, since these are slated for next year, i.e. 2020. AMD has also confirmed there won't be high-end NAVI cards, at least this year.

Though, I can't comment on the performance of these mainstream cards, or whether they can compete with other current high-end cards..
It doesn't have to be high-end. I think you are confusing it.
the Radeon vii stands up to the 2070 easily.
High-end may mean, it would slaughter the 2080, it's just a terminology no one knows what it means. I can't see them releasing something that is SLOWER than a Radeon vii

I like AMD cards when they are offering good value, but the Radeon VII is not a particularly good value, in my opinion. It costs just as much as an RTX 2080, but in general tends to perform below it, usually in-between a 2080 and a 2070. Plus it draws significantly more power, which in turn will result in more heat and noise. It would need to be priced at least $100 less for me to consider it an alright value compared to the competition, but due to the card's design being reliant on a large amount of expensive HBM2 VRAM to provide the necessary memory bandwidth, AMD can't likely offer it at a competitive price. It might be a decent option for certain professional workloads that require a lot of VRAM or are otherwise well-suited to the Vega architecture, but for gaming, a 2080 is arguably the better option at that price point.

And while it's possible that a pair of crossfired Vega 56 cards could potentially outperform a 2080 in certain games that are well-optimized for multi-card setups, many games are not, and in some cases may need to run on a single card, in which case performance will tend to be significantly worse than on a 2080. The performance gains of multi-card setups tend to be highly variable depending on the game. And considering the amount of heat and noise generated by a pair of these cards under load, crossfiring them does not seem like an ideal option to me.

If one wants to spend that much money on a card, the 2080 is likely the best option right now. Or, if one really wants a multi-card setup, waiting until Navi launches might be worthwhile, since I suspect it will likely bring better performance than Vega 56 to a lower price point, and probably with lower power draw, which would likely make it better-suited to pairing multiple cards. And perhaps we may even see a card with gaming performance not too far behind a Radeon VII priced significantly lower as well.