[SOLVED] Vega 56 Flash

Oct 11, 2019
Hi

Im new to PC gaming and just finished my 1st build. This may of been covered before but i have a question about flashing the bios to VEGA 64. Current GPU os MSI vega 56 air boost OC when flashing to 64 do i choose the the same card 64 bios the Vega 64 air boost oc bios if that makes sense and also does anyone know the power consumption once the 64 bios is applied.

Hope you can help TIA

Solution
Here is my current overclock. in the radeon software - performance - tune.

Remember, all GPU's are different! I would recommend starting at power limit +50% (if your PSU is above 600W at least Bronze rated) and then setting the voltages of your GPU like I did.

A good way to validate if your gpu still functions is with software like Heaven benchmark, just run it for a few minutes (if the clockspeed is around 90% of what your status 7 is, then it's okay). The weird thing about vega 56 is that the clock speed you set never really get's reached, in my case, it stays around 1600 MHz in game.

After you ran the benchmark for a bit, start with putting the status 7 and 8 freq a bit higher. Never do big steps, but go from like 1500 to...

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Before you do that, make sure u have Samsung HBM2. Download GPU-Z and look at "memory type". I got a MSI vega 56 air boost myself, and flashing the bios does not do a lot for me cause I have Hynix memory, which can't run at higher voltages (or freqs).

If you have samsung memory, go for it. Power consumption can be a bit higher, depends on how far u take the OC.

But to be fair, if you are new to pc building and OC, maybe not do this. you can undervolt your P6/P7 and get performances almost equal to the stock vega 64 without flashing the bios.

Oct 11, 2019
I have checked the memory and it has the Samsung HBM2, Ive never overclocked anything and was going to run the 64 bios standard would this be advisable

When it comes to the overclock i have seen people talk about under volting a vega 56 but i dont know where to start.

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
No, if you don't know what you're doing u can run into a lot of problems...

Download the amd software, I can show you a ss of my current OC if you want to have more performance. If the ventilation of your case is decent this will not impact the lifetime of your card.

Reactions: Imber742
Oct 11, 2019
so dont flash the card leave as standard 56. and with regards to the over clock i would like to see what you do. Do you use Adrenaline 2020 and wattman. i have a Meshify S2 case literally got it a couple of nights ago im finishing the build tonight as i had my vega in a corsair carbide case but cooling was poor

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Here is my current overclock. in the radeon software - performance - tune.

Remember, all GPU's are different! I would recommend starting at power limit +50% (if your PSU is above 600W at least Bronze rated) and then setting the voltages of your GPU like I did.

A good way to validate if your gpu still functions is with software like Heaven benchmark, just run it for a few minutes (if the clockspeed is around 90% of what your status 7 is, then it's okay). The weird thing about vega 56 is that the clock speed you set never really get's reached, in my case, it stays around 1600 MHz in game.

After you ran the benchmark for a bit, start with putting the status 7 and 8 freq a bit higher. Never do big steps, but go from like 1500 to 1550 and test again. From what I've read, 1700 is around the max for status 7 without flashing.

Lowering the voltages makes it so that your gpu is able to reach those frequencies without power throttling... Really weird design, you can put them a bit higher than me (P6 and P7 matter for gaming) if you don't get stable frequencies.

If your benchmark crashes, your pc (most likely) will not crash. But the settings will probably have reset. So saving your profile from time to time can help to get back quicker.

Fan temps are howerver you like, I like to put it at 100% at 75°C, but I have never had the fans go this high in game (stays around 60-65°C.)

But again, while in benchmark, look for the clock speed, if it is way lower than your P7, your voltage is to low or to high.

Don't worry to much about damaging anything, just keep using small steps and remember at what point u had a crash.

VRAM: I got HYNIX, so I can't get higher than 870 without artifacting... You probably could reach somewhere around 910 MHz, but unsure. From the moment you see artifacting (small squares on screen, weird colours) lower it again. Leave the voltage alone.

EDIT: if you want to know if what you did actually improved your performance, try 3D mark (was on sale on steam a week ago for 3 euro, don't know if it still is) or run an in game-benchmark (metro exodus and tomb raider have one, don't know the others).

Solution
Oct 11, 2019
looks and sound very complicated but thanks for the ss i will look at doing this tonight. have a Corsair 650w 85 psu.

one other thing I was under the impression that once you flashed the bios to Vega 64 you dont have to do anything else and would get performance improvements.

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Please watch the language
Hmm, you could still look into flashing it. The card has a failsafe (2 bios loaded) so even if you Removed up, you (probably) won't brick the card.

But I have also heard that people ran into problems after flashing, like having to undervolt or the card won't run.

My advice: try the overclocking a bit so you kinda know the limits of your card. You are right that the flash will improve performance at stock, but you also can gain that with OCing.

But don't just jump into flashing, make sure you did enough research and follow it step by step.

Power usage will be (at stock) only 10-20W higher I think, with OC it will go around 260-270 with flashed bios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2019
Yeah I would prefer to undervolt the 56 as it is apparently can make massive performance gains but I don’t understand to much about it. If I was to input your numbers would it work lol

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
So put in the numbers from the Volt's (spanning, mV).

That will work like 90% of time. but to know what is optimal for your card, just increase the core freq's bit by bit. I think if you put state 6 at 1550 and state 7 at 1600 you will be fine.

Also put the power limit to 50+.

That should work, stress test it in game to make sure it is stable.

If you want the max performance you can get, keep doing that (upping the core freq) until it crashes. And then lower it a bit back.