Question Vega 56 jumps to 100% when idle. Hacked?

YoitsTmac

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Hey everyone. I bought a used GPU in the first computer I've ever built. I noticed it immediately but thought it would go away as drivers were installed and such, but that was not the case. When the computer is inactive for roughly two minutes, the GPU rams to 100% utility. It will not do this with any monitor open so I suspect it's a hack.

This can be with nothing open, totally idle. If I move the mouse or hit something on the xbox controller (with nothing open), the GPU drops immediately back to 0%. See this video:
View: https://youtu.be/r50J8pZ5aDs

If I'm playing a game and it's in a cut scene (and therefore I don't give input to the computer), it'll crash, unless I put it in windowed mode with HWMonitor open (I thought the issue was thermal).

If I'm in a game, not in a cutscene, but not giving input, the frames will suddenly drop drastically. The second I give input of any kind the smooth frame rate restores itself.

Also odd, but playing NFS Hot Pursuit from 2011 leads to 100% utilization, but NFS The Run is about 30% utilization. I suspect NFS HP utilization is so low that whatever this issue is runs in the background while I play that game.

Then I also made the computer a hackintosh. On MacOS, according to the utilization dots on the GPU, it will do short 1/10 (ish) of a second shots to 100%. I see that as the GPU wants to go to 100% but supporting software isn't there on MacOS.

I asked the seller but he's been unresponsive and I suspect he knows what is going on. Are there BIOS hacks that can cause this? I feel like the GPU looks for me to be idle to mine, but that's all just a hunch. It'll do it without internet.

any help would be appreciated.

YoitsTmac

Commendable
Feb 18, 2019
Well I'm embarrassed to say that I ran Malwarebytes and it found some mining viruses in my user temp data. I'm new to Windows and use Windows exclusively to game (this is a hackintosh first for video editing and conveniently also became an Xbox replacement in the process), and I hadn't downloaded many other things aside from drivers and such. Man I feel silly. The odd behavior on MacOS continues, however there are even fan issues for people with a Mac Pro with a Vega 64 plugged in, so this seems to be a MacOS issue.

The issue came almost immediately, and so I completely dismissed the idea that it was a virus. I'm also unfamiliar of how Windows organizes files. I'm surprised the Tempdata folder didn't clear itself for weeks.

Thanks again

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing to feel embarassed about. Viruses and malware can infest anyone's machine. I've had my share. I'm not familiar enough with the Mac OS, but with Windows 10, the built-in virus protection is mediocre. I have a activated copy of MalwareBytes running in the background all the time (got grandfathered in when a lifetime license was only $25). It stops intercepts troublesome sites daily for me.