Question Vega 56 short circuit from static electricity?

Apr 2, 2019
I recently purchsed a used Vega 56 (upgrade from an RX 580). It seems that any static applied to the PC case causes the Vega to stop outputting display, GPU blower fan immediately spins up to max, and the GPUtach lights on the Vega stop lighting (but the Radeon logo is still illuminated). The only way to recover the system is by holding down the power button. This happens when I touch the PC case, plug in headphones, or plug in USB peripherals and there is static shock. I recently RMAed my PSU because I thought that was the issue.

My system is:
MSI X99s Krait Edition
i7-5820K
EVGA SuperNova 750 (NEW)
16GB DDR4 Crutial RAM

Is my Vega faulty? It doesn't happen with my RX 580.

I would check that the case is truly grounded.

It may be that your outlet isn't grounded....or the power cord is bad.

If you don't have a meter to do this with....or you don't know how.....try another power cord.....and try the computer on a different outlet that is powered by a different circuit breaker and hopefully that one will be grounded.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
This used to happen to me, my apartment is all carpet and I live in a pretty dry climate so static is a big issue. I would just ground myself before touching my PC. For me, that meant touching my desk lamp, monitor stand, etc.

But yeah, check that your PC is grounded properly if possible. If you ground yourself before touching the PC but it still shocks you that would indicate that there's a grounding issue.

Apr 2, 2019
I have a Fractal R5 (recently purchased a tempered glass side panel for it, but not sure if that matters).

Outlets are all grounded (checked with a multimeter), and I got a new power cord with my RMA PSU.

I've had no issues with a GTX 1060 or my RX 580 with this case. Could it be that the Vega isn't grounded for some reason?

Edit: Not sure if this is related, but I also noticed that when I push the Vega past ~40% utilization there is a fairly high-pitched coil whine from the Vega

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I've had no issues with a GTX 1060 or my RX 580 with this case. Could it be that the Vega isn't grounded for some reason?
Use your multimeter to measure the resistance between a metal part on the Vega 56 and the ground pin at the end of the power supply cord that plugs into the wall socket. If it's near 0, it's grounded.
Outlets are all grounded (checked with a multimeter), and I got a new power cord with my RMA PSU.
How exactly did you use the multimeter to check the outlet grounding?

Apr 2, 2019
Use your multimeter to measure the resistance between a metal part on the Vega 56 and the ground pin at the end of the power supply cord that plugs into the wall socket. If it's near 0, it's grounded.

Ok I just used the multimeter and checked the resistance between the ground on the PSU cord and some exposed metal on the Vega and got bascially 0. Repeated for the 3.5mm jack, USB ports, mobo standoffs, and all about 0.

How exactly did you use the multimeter to check the outlet grounding?

I set the multimeter to "resistance", black probe in the ground outlet prong, red probe in the larger left neutral prong and reading was about 0. Then tested voltage - multimeter set to "ACV", black probe into the in ground prong, red probe into the hot right prong, with a reading of ~120.