vega 56 vs 2060

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
I was just about to buy a vega 56 when this thing was announced. Now, the vega 56 is about $600 aud, the 2060 MSRP on Nvedia's website is 600 dollars too. I do not care for RTX, but the performance does look fairly good. What should I do?

Solution
Reference vega 56 isn't a great comparison. Reference Vega 56 isn't great.
Aftermarket Vega 56 with some undervolting is a different story and is (from what I've seen) slightly faster than the 2060.
Gamers Nexus has an OC'ed 56 in their benchmarks if you want a look. I'm sure they're elsewhere, too.

If you need something now and dont want to tweak, the 2060 is a better option.
If you dont mind a little tweaking and the Vega 56 available isn't a reference cooler, IMO the 56 is the better bet (but they're close).
If you can wait, see what Navi is going to be like. Or at least wait until AMDs CES announcements are all in. There's rumors of Vega 2 on 7nm as well.

aocon62

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

But, will i be able to get the thing for MSRP? Thats what my concern is.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
According to Tomshardware's review of the 2060, it's ~12% faster than a (reference) vega 56 on average across their test suite. So one could argue that as long as the 2060 retails for no more than 12% above MSRP, it is the better buy. It uses less power too. A non-reference vega 56 that's been tuned up might fare a bit better in comparison, not sure what sort of vega 56 you are looking at $600.

Stukes

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Reference vega 56 isn't a great comparison. Reference Vega 56 isn't great.
Aftermarket Vega 56 with some undervolting is a different story and is (from what I've seen) slightly faster than the 2060.
Gamers Nexus has an OC'ed 56 in their benchmarks if you want a look. I'm sure they're elsewhere, too.

If you need something now and dont want to tweak, the 2060 is a better option.
If you dont mind a little tweaking and the Vega 56 available isn't a reference cooler, IMO the 56 is the better bet (but they're close).
If you can wait, see what Navi is going to be like. Or at least wait until AMDs CES announcements are all in. There's rumors of Vega 2 on 7nm as well.

Solution