[SOLVED] Vega 64 and Corsair TX 550m

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Looking to get a new GPU after my 1070 ti died. Is a Vega 64 and TX 550m a bad idea? Or should I wait for another 1070 ti to come back in stock?

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Do you already have the Vega 64? Is it the air-cooled version, or liquid cooled?
Are you buying new or used?
If new, where are you getting a new 1070Ti from? (also, what country are you buying in?)

• I'm from the UK
  • Buying used (uk.webuy.com)
  • No I don't have any gpu at the moment, my old 1070 ti died and i'm looking for a replacement for under £300.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, the Vega64 was always very power hungry. 550W, even from a high quality unit like the TX550m, might be pushing it.

I would say that a GTX 2060 or an RX 5700 (non-XT) are in the same general price range as each other, and within your limit. The 2060 would perform about the same as the 1070Ti, and the RX 5700 is faster.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=436,445&sort=price

Solution

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Well, the Vega64 was always very power hungry. 550W, even from a high quality unit like the TX550m, might be pushing it.

I would say that a GTX 2060 or an RX 5700 (non-XT) are in the same general price range as each other, and within your limit. The 2060 would perform about the same as the 1070Ti, and the RX 5700 is faster.

Ok, thanks. The 2060 and 5700 are £300 and £310 respectively, so I don't think they are worth it over the £240 1070 ti. I'll just wait.

Thanks again :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wait, the prices I was seeing were notably less than £300 on the list I linked to.

Is that before . . I think it's called VAT, or something like that?

If so, then I guess the tradeoff is used vs a full warranty from a new part. On the other hand, if the UK also has warranties generally applicable to used parts, or that extend beyond the first owner, then that's definitely something that would make used more worthwhile.

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Wait, the prices I was seeing were notably less than £300 on the list I linked to.

If so, then I guess the tradeoff is used vs a full warranty from a new part. On the other hand, if the UK also has warranties generally applicable to used parts, or that extend beyond the first owner, then that's definitely something that would make used more worthwhile.

I tend to get my GPUs used, as the discount is so much better than buying new. Most of the time I've got it off eBay, so no warranty, and since the last card I got off eBay died I wanted to go with CeX (uk.webuy.com) as it includes a 2 year warranty.

Also, in the UK everything has tax included in the price (of 20%). So maybe why it appears cheaper for you if you live in the USA

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

Oh <Mod Edit> wait I didn't see the link 1 sec

Last edited by a moderator:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Last edited by a moderator:

tomkendall

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016

The prices look pretty good there, but idk if I trust those websites personally. Looks kinda shady.

Also still
LOL, ok, I was a bit confused at first at your response.

Also, here's an updated link - sorted by price like before, but also includes the RX 5600 XT, which performs a little better than the RTX 2060.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=436,484,445&sort=price

If you decide to go with the RX 5600 XT, I would lean in favor of the Sapphire Pulse version.

Thanks for this, I didn't realise how cheap you can get some GPUs for. Although most of them are on pretty shady sites, I might give them a try anyway lol.

Reactions: King_V
Oct 25, 2019

Na. A vega 64 will do max 312 watts on its own when o the standard bios at turbo.
But iv never experienced 300watts when gaming yet.
Im at 200-220 watts according to gpu-z.
1080p ultra settings vsync off and on.
550watts will do it aslong as your CPU is not hungry.

On my other system a 3770k stock settings ran fine with 7990 and gtx 690 on an antec HCG 620 watts.
Never a problem.