Vega 64 crashing system at high power usage

Kacpers25

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015
Whenever I into a demanding game there is a high chance my system locks up. I've recently upgraded my RAM, GPU, PSU, and added some storage. I'm certain it's either a problem with the GPU itself or the PSU not being able to deliver enough power.

Specs:
R5 1600
ROG Strix RX VEGA 64 OC
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
2x8 3000mhz CL15 Trident Z RGB
750W EVGA 750BQ

Thanks in advance for any help.

You say you added storage.
Ryzen is picky about ram.
If your ram is not from the same kit there may be a problem.
Then, not all DDR4 ram will be supported.
Try a stress test on your ram using memtest86.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.

Your new PSU is a good one and I do not suspect that is the problem.

I saw one user on newegg that said his card would not run at advertised boost speeds.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126232

I assume your graphics driver is up to date.
How are your cpu and gpu temperatures under load?

Have you overclocked the cpu or gpu?

You can try to underclock the graphics card a bit.
If that gets you stability you can either live with it or rma the unit.

Kacpers25

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

The kit was bought together, RAM compatibility got a lot better with RAM with BIOS updates so its highly unlikely its RAM when the freezing only happens during high power draw in games.
I'll test it either way and let you know.

Kacpers25

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

In 3 passes I got 0 errors, so the ram is completely fine as far as I'm aware.

Kacpers25

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

Yes I'm using 2 separate cables, I've formatted Windows and reinstalled drivers and the issue still persists. I've recently found out that my friend with a 2600x and a 2070 has the same issue. I still have no idea what it could be.

One thing I've forgot to mention is that there is an odd sound coming from my PC at load, but I can't tell if it's the GPU or PSU.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
In order to rule out the PSU or the GPU being the culprit you can check either of them on another known working system.

What is the storage you added? I'd say check the SMART with something like HD Sentinel or HD Tune/Pro to see if it has bad sectors and such.

What kind of sound? Is it clicking or scratching or like a coil whine? Has the sound always been there or it started recently with the freezes?

Kacpers25

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

I don't have a system I could check on, I have my old 1060 to check if there is an odd noise but I'm not sure if it can get to that power draw, and my vega won't boot with my old 500w psu as it doesn't have 2x8 pins.

I added a 500GB MX500 and a 2TB Barracuda, I checked all my drives and they're in perfect health.

The sound is odd it's like a gritty sound, I have a video of the sound if that helps. I'm almost certain it's the GPU now.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcJfd9AjsQU"][/video]

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That buzzing and clicking seems to be mechanical and kind of sounds like a faulty HDD head/actuator to me. Are you sure the HDD is OK? You said you have added a 2TB Barracuda. Assuming you have had other HDDs before this one, have you checked them?

Not sure the VGA can make that noise and there's no visual to see if the fan/s on the card are doing something and making that noise.

Kacpers25

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2015

In the example of the video the sound was coming out when I unpaused skyrim and started right back up when I unpaused it, it can't be fans if they're constantly spinning don't think. The HDD does make noise but it's whenever it's active. The odd sound you hear in the video is whenever there's some higher power usage.

I honestly have no idea what it is. Capacitors on the card? No clue

Edit: Just noticed while playing Dota my gpu usage dropped from 55% to 0% and the sound stopped momentarily until the usage went back up.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you're certain it's the graphics card then and buzzing and clicking (especially buzzing) are probably coil whine.

More so because you say it stops when there is no/low load on the card. This pattern more or less matches that of a coil whine.

These are somehow annoying and people either accept and ignore them or replace the card. Sometimes changing the clocks/voltages help, that is lowering the voltage/frequency of the GPU. If it's really bugging you, you probably need to RMA the card.

To absolutely make sure it is coming from the VGA, since you have no integrated graphics on the CPU, if possible, you can test the card in another system with a proper PSU (or the same you have) and see if it whines in there too.