vega 64 crossfire or 2080 Ti?

Dec 20, 2018
Basically, as the title suggests, I am curious which build would be better.
2x vega 64 worth £800 but would require new power source worth £150
1x 2080ti is £1000 and my current power supply should do here.

As usual, the rule is. Buy a single strongest GPU that you can afford. Vega line is great.... But I think you can denefit more from the RTX card. 2080ti is very powerful and there ain't much to slow it down, axcept your cpu.

Which processor do you have?

Reason to stay with single card: less power consumption, less heat, supported by all games (crossfire/sli will only work on optimized games)

Dec 20, 2018

Hey!, Thanks for your answer and interest. I am having old pc with FX 8350 and hd7850 crossfire (old ddr3 stuff which did good in the past years).
I am planning to upgrade to ddr4 buy ryzen 7 2700X as a CPU. Is that CPU good?

Thanks again for interest.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lack of support for crossfire. It's never really been great, usually at best running about 50% increase, and only in certain games. Most games are 10-30% better performance and there's multiple games with negative performance. Getting $200 worth of performance from a $600 card generally isn't worth the expenditure.

Crossfire & sli only ever made sense when a single card wasn’t available for the needs, you just don’t get a good return of performance for the investment. Add to this dying support, extra heat and power considerations and sometimes issues like micro stutter (this problem seems less likely these days).

If you look back at games that do support crossfire/sli I recommend you look back at forums following the games initial release, I can remember a few where support wasn’t added for months after release and when it was it took a few more updates to work out issues.

Ryzen 2700 is good, but don't get the 2700x, do the Overclock yourself (basic difference between the two, although the 2700x has a little better quality to it, not worth the price).

If this upgrade is coming slowly, AMD is looking looking to release it's ryzen 3rd Gen possibly in Q1 of 2019, so that's something to keep an eye out on.

Are you Purely gaming? Or do you also do editing work of sorts? Planning on streaming?

Dec 20, 2018

I do gaming and some ansys analysis.

TRENDING THREADS