Question Vega 64 Memory OC Problems

invento123

Prominent
May 5, 2018
SO BASICALLY
I'm having serious problems with my Gigabyte Windforce Vega 64. Long story short, I usually keep it on turbo mode in the AMD Wattman settings and use MSI afterburner only to control the fans due to my cases poor air flow in order to keep the temps under control.
This has been happening since I bought the card used off ebay, whenever playing a decently demanding game, in my case apex legends, the gpu core will sit around 1630ish and the memory at around 944mhz respectively. The gpu temp never goes above 75C and same with the memory. VRM of both memory and gpu never exceed about 85C. And, almost always at random, the memory clock will straight up drop off all the way down to 167mhz and stay there no matter what. If I let it cool off, if I set my custom overclock on it which boosts gpu to 1700mhz and memory too 1000mhz, if I bring it to balanced mode, nothing I do brings the memory to anything above or below 167 Mhz. It almost seems stuck at 167Mhz on the memory but the core still easily boosts back up to its 1630. In order to get the memory to boost back to anything above 167 I have to restart my whole pc. Ive tried reflashing the bios, completely uninstalling and reinstalling the AMD drivers, maxing out the fans to see if it was temp related. Nothing keeps it from happening as it always seems to come back and downclock to 167mhz until I restart my computer again.
Any advice or ideas at all would be greatly appreciated as I love this card and its very frustrating only being able to play an hour or 2 of a game before I have to restart my computer again to get my memory to work correctly again.
Im on version 19.6.1 with the latest 1803 windows updates installed
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
The Vega siblings are really really sensitive to voltage changes. Particularly, I see you're trying to push 1700Mhz on it. Does it have 3 8pin power connectors? With my Vega64, I can't break 1650Mhz using 2 8pin power connectors and I have it now capped at 1600Mhz Turbo for safe operation with no problems so far. I haven't touched the HBM speed either; it's sitting at 950Mhz with no voltage changes.

This is most likely not a temperature problem, but a board power issue. The vega siblings are hungry hogs.

Cheers!

invento123

Prominent
May 5, 2018
Ill try turning my OC down to 1600Mhz and see if that changes anything. What voltages are you running for P state 6 and 7? Also what do you have P state 1-5 set at? I never knew what to do with them.
Another question, I know you said you havent touched the HBM but what voltage did you keep it at or is it just set to auto?

invento123

Prominent
May 5, 2018
HOLY FLIPPIDY FLAPPIDY FRICK!!!!!!! I had no idea Overdriventool existed until you posted that screenshot! I got the memory to remain stable at 945mhz and core at around 1400mhz! This is amazing thank you so so much!!!!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v5Q0EdIJygCprrBxll_FIQcm9rSfZqKX
And yes I know I could definitely push my core a lot higher than I am right now but Im just happy I got it working!

HOLY FLIPPIDY FLAPPIDY FRICK!!!!!!! I had no idea Overdriventool existed until you posted that screenshot! I got the memory to remain stable at 945mhz and core at around 1400mhz! This is amazing thank you so so much!!!!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v5Q0EdIJygCprrBxll_FIQcm9rSfZqKX
And yes I know I could definitely push my core a lot higher than I am right now but Im just happy I got it working!
I'm happy it worked for you.

It shouldn't be this troublesome to tweak the Vega siblings, buy here we are... They're not bad cards, but this is one of those "tough love" type of things, haha. I've never had this many issues (or seen this many) with other AMD cards.

Cheers!

Reactions: invento123