[SOLVED] Vega 64 not running 100% not reaching 144fps

jslinger

Great
Jul 23, 2019
my cpu and gpu are both not running higer than 70%. this is a problem because i do not reach 144fps for my 144hz monitor.
my 1060 6g has the same performance when it was running 100%, like a graphics card should.
amd recommends a 750W psu, i have 650W vs650 from corsair. it should be enough but idk.
i have disabled high precision event timer because maybe that was a problem.
no vsync, no freesync, no cooling issue, latest drivers, i really don't know anymore.

my specs are:
Msi AMD Radeon Rx Vega 64 Air Boost oc
AMD Ryzen 2600 overclocked to 4.1 Ghz
Gigabyte b450m dsh3
1 TB intel 6000p m.2 ssd
1 TB Wd Blue
120gb sata sdd (windows runs on this because it was not able to boot on the intel ssd)

Solution
I think the issue is the PSU, the Corsair VS series are pretty low quality and while it may of been fine with the 1060 I don't think it can handle a card such as the Vega 64.

jslinger

Great
Jul 23, 2019
I think the issue is the PSU, the Corsair VS series are pretty low quality and while it may of been fine with the 1060 I don't think it can handle a card such as the Vega 64.
Would a psu power shortage not just shut the pc off? Or just crash? Or is it possible it can actually cause a gpu and/or cpu to slow down?
Although when i started some heavy games sometimes the screen would just go black for 20 seconds and then come back and the game would crash. When i restarted the game everything was fine (except the gpu and cpu usage ofc). Maybe it has something to do with that?

WildCard999

Titan
Would a psu power shortage not just shut the pc off? Or just crash? Or is it possible it can actually cause a gpu and/or cpu to slow down?
Although when i started some heavy games sometimes the screen would just go black for 20 seconds and then come back and the game would crash. When i restarted the game everything was fine (except the gpu and cpu usage ofc). Maybe it has something to do with that?
I think it could be a mix of these. I'm not 100% the PSU is the problem but considering what you've done software wise (drivers and such), looking at the specs & considering this didn't happen with the 1060 I think the PSU is likely the culprit.

Reactions: jslinger

jslinger

Great
Jul 23, 2019
I think it could be a mix of these. I'm not 100% the PSU is the problem but considering what you've done software wise (drivers and such), looking at the specs & considering this didn't happen with the 1060 I think the PSU is likely the culprit.
I understand. It is not very easy for me to just buy a new psu. I dont have alot of money right now and its not like i can sell the older corsair psu.
So ill keep looking for other issues but i do think it is the psu.

TRENDING THREADS