[SOLVED] Vega 64 vs Vega 56 vs RTX2070 (monitor with Freesync)

vulkan_

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019
I am building my new gaming PC and have hit a brick wall with respect to GPU. My current choice are:
Vega 64 - Main concern is power consumption (power is expensive in Germany) - 414 euros with three games
Vega 56 - Again, power consumption and lower FPS - 382 euros with three games
RTX 2070 - Pricing is a little high and no Freesync support - 564 euros

I am unable to decide this:
a. With under volting and over clocking Vega 64, can I expect a lighter hit on power bills?
b. Is a 150 euro premium justified on RTX2070?
c. Would under volting and OC Vega 56 give meaningful performance on my setup (more information below)
d: Is Freesync such a bigger deal especially with RTX2070?
e: If I do go the Vega way, how much more euros will it be per year?

Monitor: 2560x1080 Freesync capable LG monitor (75Hz)
CPU: Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VII x470
RAM: 16GB
HDD: Corsair 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750 Platinum (750W)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
What do you pay per kwh if you dont mind me asking? Unless your power bill is astronomically high the difference in power consumption between a stock and undervolted vega 64 is not going to be much.

A. You may not be able to undervolt and overclock the card unless you get quite the good sample. The card is designed to be stable at stock clocks and voltage, undervolting then overcloking is likely going to cause some instability under heavy load. Like I said unless your power bill is stupid high we are talking pennies per month.

B. No not really, you can get GTX 1080s for cheaper that perform on par with the 2070 if not better in some games. However no freesync with nvidia cards.

C. Like I said I doubt you will be able to undervolt...

Lutfij

Titan
Power draw on the Vega cards are high compared to the Nvidia you've listed. If you're worried about loosing Freesync then you'll need to bear with the high utility bills+the fact that you're getting close to PSU's limits with power output. I'd say Nvidia in this case. Sell the monitor and pick up a G-Sync monitor if you want to get something with "Sync" on it but the utility bills alone is reason for me to not get AMD's offering unless you found a waver for the power bills(or it's rates).

Caution, my 2 cents :D

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
What do you pay per kwh if you dont mind me asking? Unless your power bill is astronomically high the difference in power consumption between a stock and undervolted vega 64 is not going to be much.

A. You may not be able to undervolt and overclock the card unless you get quite the good sample. The card is designed to be stable at stock clocks and voltage, undervolting then overcloking is likely going to cause some instability under heavy load. Like I said unless your power bill is stupid high we are talking pennies per month.

B. No not really, you can get GTX 1080s for cheaper that perform on par with the 2070 if not better in some games. However no freesync with nvidia cards.

C. Like I said I doubt you will be able to undervolt and overclock. If you do manage it, it depends on how far you can push core and memory clocks. Vega cards aren't exactly the best overclockers when you overvolt them so I wouldn't expect much.

D. You cant use freesync at all with a 2070. What freesync does is match monitor refresh rate to framerate in the freesync range of the monitor. So for example if your game is running at 70fps the monitor will run at 70hz. This eliminates screen tearing and can make the game feel a bit more smooth with say a choppy framerate or if you are consistently under 60fps in a game.

E. I would need to know what you pay per kwh. The US average is 12 cents per kwh. If a vega 56 card was under full load 8 hours a day 7 days a week that would cost $43.35 per year. A gtx 1070 with the same conditions it would be $38.20 per year. Add about a dollar to each when comparing 2070 and vega 64. Video on this below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5aIyBa0gs

Solution

vulkan_

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019

Thank you for the information. I will be paying close to 27 euro cents for power (26,84 Ct/kWh). Correct me if I am wrong but at that price, Vega will cause quite more.

vulkan_

Reputable
Jan 3, 2019

The exact reason I posted this here. I need to book the card today night (yay! for free midnight shipping) and I am nowhere near to a selection.

Latest posts