[SOLVED] Vega56 fans go 100%, display shows NO SIGNAL

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Hey!

Last Saturday I bought a brand new Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse 8GB graphics card. After installing it I ran into a problem - sometimes (every 2-3rd time), when Windows was loading, my screen would go completely black and monitor shows NO SIGNAL, and in the same moment, my GPU fans go crazy, (spinning at 100% I guess). I could do nothing but restart my PC using a button on the case.

I thought it was related to my system being crap already (havent reinstalled system for like 4 years), so I reinstalled Windows, installed drivers, everything was fine for five days, I played Metro Exodus and Wreckfest for many hours and it was ok, card was behaving very good, low temps, low power usage...

Today I bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Steam. I downloaded the game, set some settings, press Play... and guess what - fans go 100%, monitor shows NO SIGNAL. It's like that on both 60 Hz, 75 Hz (I have FreeSync 2560x1080 display), fullscreen, borderless, min settings, max settings...

What the heck is that? Is it related to AMD drivers or WattMan profiles (Windows shows popup - Wattman profiles have been restored due to a crash) when I load Windows after restart? How can I fix this? As I said, I encountered it on my previous system, so it has to do with AMD drivers or something?

I have not overclocked the card, use standard bios, dont use Sapphire Trixx. I literally have 4 icons in tray, Asus center, AMD drivers, Steelseries Engine and Steam.

Please help me. I still have 6 days to give it back to the store but I dont know if its faulty or not :(:(:(

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
i5-6500, 4x4 2133MHz ram, mobo Z170K, EVGA 650W GQ

I use HWInfo to monitor my setup and GPUs max temperature is like 70 *C, its max power draw 180W. It doesnt overheat, nothing. It happens on startup of that single the game. As I mentioned, I played Metro Exodus for like 20 hours already, today and yesterday.

Are you using Windows 10 OS ? Did you install the latest patches/updates from Microsoft ? Because, recently Win 10 DX12 OS has been very unstable since the past few months or so. Many have complained about weird/strange system behavior.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed as well for your system ?

Last edited:

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Dudes, I found the solution - I messed with it all long enough to find it :D

It's DirectX 12!!! I unticked it and it works flawless, even AMD settings in game work! But question is - what the heck is going on that it makes my card go nuts?

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
I use 19.6.2 Adrenalin 2019 driver (literally downloaded it last month), as fresh as it can be, game has been downloaded today from Steam Store.

So is it something that I should worry about? What can I do to prevent it somehow from occuring in the future?

Metro Exodus also uses DX12 and it works great :/

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
I just played Shadow of Tomb Raider (ofc I disabled Dx12) for like 3 hours, no crashes, nothing. I tried enabling DirectX 12 - same thing, instant NO SIGNAL and fans go 100%. What the heck?