I recently purchased Vegas to create slideshows of my photography that
can be burned to DVD and played on a TV, and am still in process of
setting up a work flow. I am discovering that I need additional
hardware. Since I do not have a camcorder I understand I need an
external monitor and media converter.

My question is about the media converter. The Canopus ADVC-100 is the
one recommended. There is a less expensive one ADVC-50. Could I use
that as well?
Does the media converter effect the final result? I don't think so.
It just makes a preview available to the external monitor, right?

I have selected a small Casio LCD TV for my external monitor. Easy to
move around and dynamite picture. $279 at Sam's Club. I can use for
other than previewing a Vegas show, so don't mind that cost. But I
didn't want to pay the $250 for a card before being sure that I really
needed to.

Thanks...CarolRo

Congrats on your decision Carol. Responses inline.

Carol R <Carolro@msn.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased Vegas to create slideshows of my photography that
> can be burned to DVD and played on a TV, and am still in process of
> setting up a work flow. I am discovering that I need additional
> hardware. Since I do not have a camcorder I understand I need an
> external monitor and media converter.

That is correct.

> My question is about the media converter. The Canopus ADVC-100 is the
> one recommended. There is a less expensive one ADVC-50. Could I use
> that as well?

Unfortunately no. The 50 is only a one-way convertor (analog to firewire).
You need the 100 because of it's two-way features.

> Does the media converter effect the final result? I don't think so.
> It just makes a preview available to the external monitor, right?

Correct again.

> I have selected a small Casio LCD TV for my external monitor. Easy to
> move around and dynamite picture. $279 at Sam's Club. I can use for
> other than previewing a Vegas show, so don't mind that cost. But I
> didn't want to pay the $250 for a card before being sure that I really
> needed to.

LCDs are a definite no-no for doing any kind of video where you need
accurate colour information. There's no way to accurately judge proper
colours on an LCD panel of almost any kind. The units that are designed for
it are out of range of most of us here :-(

You're better off checking e-bay (Cameras & Photo > Professional Video
Equipment > Monitors) for a 2nd hand 9" or so monitor (not a TV - just a
monitor). I just had a look and there were almost 100 listings. Ikegami,
Sony, & JVC are some good names to look for.

> Thanks...CarolRo

You're welcome.

Mike

Mike Kujbida wrote:
> Unfortunately no. The 50 is only a one-way convertor (analog to firewire).
> You need the 100 because of it's two-way features.

How about a video card with TV out, like a Matrox. Would that work
with Vegas for preview? Could be considerably cheaper?

Fishface wrote:
> Mike Kujbida wrote:
>> Unfortunately no. The 50 is only a one-way convertor (analog to
>> firewire). You need the 100 because of it's two-way features.
>
> How about a video card with TV out, like a Matrox. Would that work
> with Vegas for preview? Could be considerably cheaper?

I stand to be corrected but I don't think you can.
From the manual:
"To use an external monitor, you must have an OHCI-compliant IEE-1394 DV
card, a DV camcorder or a DV-to-analog converter box."
As long as your camcorder has pass-thru, you're all set for video.
Use your soundcard's output for the audio.

Mike

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Why go to that expense and bother? I do all my monitoring in Vegas in
the preview window, and burn my final draft to DVD+RW to see how it
really looks on my loungeroom TV played with my DVD player. If I'm
satisfied with the results and haven't made some silly mistake when
setting up the DVD, I then burn to DVD+R (or to -R if I had that).

That aside, the ADVC100 is an excellent devicer, as is the Canopus
ACEDVIO card which is PCI slot card with the same engine.

John

John wrote:
> Why go to that expense and bother? I do all my monitoring in Vegas in
> the preview window, and burn my final draft to DVD+RW to see how it
> really looks on my loungeroom TV played with my DVD player. If I'm
> satisfied with the results and haven't made some silly mistake when
> setting up the DVD, I then burn to DVD+R (or to -R if I had that).
>
> That aside, the ADVC100 is an excellent devicer, as is the Canopus
> ACEDVIO card which is PCI slot card with the same engine.
>
> John

That is the way a lot of folks do it, including me, for videos that are
nothing more than simple cuts & dissolves. However, if you're doing a lot of
colour correction or some equally complicated effect, you really want to
know how it will look before you commit to a (potentially overnight) render.
After all, time wasted is money lost to a business person.

Mike