Velociraptor for OS

Dontcopy

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Hello,
I am currently running a 500gb 7200rpm HD with a 16mb cache, this is what I have the OS installed on. I also have a 150gb WD Velociraptor.
My HD is bottlenecking my system and was thinking about using my Velociraptor for the OS and programs and using the 500gb for games ect..
Just wondering if I will notice any increase in boot times and load times if I switch to the Velociraptor, and how will I get programs such as Microsoft office back, since I have already maxed the key.

Solution
The Velociraptor will improve boot and load times a bit because of its faster access times. It's true that modern high capacity drives have as high or higher transfer rates, but booting and application startup are more dependent on access times.

But I agree with geofelt that the improvement will be nothing compared to what you'd see with an SSD. A Velociraptor has access times that are perhaps 2-3 times faster than a standard hard drive, but an SSD has access times that are 100 times faster.
The 150gb velociraptor was good in it's time. But modern large sata srives are today just as good.
You will not notice much difference if you use one for the OS.

You WILL notice a big difference if you use a SSD for the os and some apps.

I don't know why the office key should be an issue. It is licensed to the PC(motherboard) and not the hard drive.

The Velociraptor will improve boot and load times a bit because of its faster access times. It's true that modern high capacity drives have as high or higher transfer rates, but booting and application startup are more dependent on access times.

But I agree with geofelt that the improvement will be nothing compared to what you'd see with an SSD. A Velociraptor has access times that are perhaps 2-3 times faster than a standard hard drive, but an SSD has access times that are 100 times faster.

Solution