Velocity Micro Intros HTPC, Gaming Rig ''Hybrid''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the components choices don't seem to make much sense. Why use older, more expensive Intel 520 series drives instead of newer, cheaper, and better for common use models like the Intel 330 series or a Marvell/Samsung-based SSD? Why use such expensive memory when it benefits neither the gaming aspects nor the HTPC aspects of this system?

Sometimes it just seems like system building companies are way out of touch with their products and customers.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Why not use a smaller case, and two low-profile cards in SLI/Crossfire, like the 7750? And leave it with an i5, with a low-profile cooler, with stock speeds. Small, powerfull and awesome. (not that this one isn't)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
When I think of HTPC I think mini itx / micro atx size tops. When your enclosure uses a full ATX board and is the size of a mid tower laying on its side, it no longer qualifies as a HTPC in my eyes.

For it to be HTPC it needs to be the size of an xbox / dvd player / cable box.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Smells an awful lot like the Falcon Northwest Tiki to me; not that it's a bad thing, though. It would certainly be interesting to have one, though I'm not sure I like the $2000 pricetag at all...

joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I hate to be that guy, but an i5, 16GB memory, z77 motherboard (atx no less, so this can't be that small of a case either), 1TB HDD, dvdrw, and a gtx 660 should not come close to $1849, no matter the case. TV tuner cards aren't even standard at the base price, they're $100 starting.

Again, I hate to be *that* guy, cause no one likes the downer, but if this is marketed towards gamers- PC gamers no less- how do they not think we'll just see this as a collection of parts? I see $1000 worth of parts and OS inside what I assume is a (too big for htpc uses) $300 case at most, and... I guess $600 worth of cable management?

Also, as a strange aside, any else notice how the prices don't really mesh within their own website? Same model TV tuners are different prices depending on the drop down menu, one says $180, one says $175, and it's not like the order of configuration matters.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Starting at $1,899 USD, it's designed to "dominate" the living room offering 1080p gaming, media streaming, Cable Card functionality with DVR, Blue-ray playback and loads more

why not a ps3?
*dont mind me i dont get it.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Well it IS an HTPC, man. :\
HTPCs, by most part, don't need ultra-top coolers, because they consume so little power and produce so little heat, that even stock coolers would be a satisfactory for most.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Lol... a custom desktop build would be cheaper.
Heck a high-end laptop that would be an equivalent to this if not better could be cheaper as well.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Some of the components choices don't seem to make much sense. Why use older, more expensive Intel 520 series drives instead of newer, cheaper, and better for common use models like the Intel 330 series[/citation]
lolwut? the 330 is a cut down 520! The 320 was from the older generation. 335 is the newer version of the 330 based on smaller, denser NAND.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]lolwut? the 330 is a cut down 520! The 320 was from the older generation. 335 is the newer version of the 330 based on smaller, denser NAND.[/citation]

Ehh, my bad, I wasn't thinking there. Still, 520s are way too expensive for nearly no realistic consumer advantages over the 330s. I don't trust the 335s and Samsung 840s enough to recommend them.

G

850 watt Corsair power supply ? wow that will eat up your electric bill if you leave it up all the time like me. here what I done for my, got me a Dell Precision workstation M6600 with Firepro Radeon 8900M, for like 900 from refurbish store with coupon, put in 32GB RAM and SSD raid 0, connect to Sillion dust PrimeHome run cable card with external record to iSCSI device I got for $109.... all together it costly roughly $1500 and use a lot less power, I can record 3 show at once to iSCSI device and watch something previous recording flawless, and if I am bored, I can fire up some game at same time..

[citation][nom]xccess[/nom]850 watt Corsair power supply ? wow that will eat up your electric bill if you leave it up all the time like me. here what I done for my, got me a Dell Precision workstation M6600 with Firepro Radeon 8900M, for like 900 from refurbish store with coupon, put in 32GB RAM and SSD raid 0, connect to Sillion dust PrimeHome run cable card with external record to iSCSI device I got for $109.... all together it costly roughly $1500 and use a lot less power, I can record 3 show at once to iSCSI device and watch something previous recording flawless, and if I am bored, I can fire up some game at same time..[/citation]

A power supply doesn't draw its rated amount of power unless the hardware components require it to. This system couldn't get that PSU to pull anywhere near 850W even in the maximum configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.