Velocity Micro: Nvidia/Samsung Feud Is Not Our Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykalios

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
This whole Patent crap is getting way too out of hand. I get that when a real Patent is stolen and causes a measurable amount of monetary loss, then yes sue away, but all these companies are being spoiled brats throwing temper tantrums. Samsung is just bitter over the Apple thing and now they are going after small companies like Velocity Micro. Really says a lot about Samsung as a company that they would go after an underdog like Velocity Micro. Shame on you Samsung.

qbngringo

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
As Copeland said, Samsung is going to force them to use their resources fighting a battle they have way of even participating in. The small company I work for is constantly bleed dry by patent trolls, trademark infringement lawsuits, and other legal issues that costs thousands of dollars just in consultations before you even begin. This shows Samsung is selfish and willing do drag a company, their employees, and the American economy down if it will help their position even slightly. This could easily cost Velocity Micro hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal defense which may very likely bankrupt them. Shame on you Samsung, I now can't wait to trade in my S5 and will avoid your products at all cost.

I hope other follow suit, we need to protect the American Economy not allow some profit focused foreign entity to drag us down in the interest of speeding up a legal battle that will not even affect their bottom line.

As an American, employee of a small business, and accountant this is very disgusting.

lorfa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2012
I don't understand. What possible Samsung patents could a system builder boutique be infringing on? Wouldn't the same apply to like a hundred other boutiques? Does anyone have a link to the lawsuit info?

Nov 12, 2014
"This shows Samsung is selfish and willing do drag a company, their employees, and the American economy down if it will help their position even slightly."

From what I have heard from small- and medium-sized suppliers of Samsung in Korea, that's how they treat their own countrymen. If they strangle companies right in their own country like that, you can imagine how they're willing to treat foreigners.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Guess the next ssd raid wont be 850 pro's after all, when their using a small company as doormath just to get to the competition - That is nothing i like to sponsor by purchasing their products.

Tacacs

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Guys, it's only natural in a battle between David & Goliath to spontaneously take David's side.. and before you rush to say I'm defending Goliath, let me assure you.. not at all..
I'm just saying that I wouldn't fall from the clouds if the companies were vise versa in terms of power that the same things wouldn't happen again.
See.. when money comes in.. decency waves bye bye usually..

Besides, it's not about American economy in particular.. it's about local economy in general.. either it's American, European and so on.. basically anything, not made in China, if anything like that exists nowadays anyway..

Yeah, Samsung is acting like a little b**** here, taking it out on the tiny company but hey!
Guess who was it, that gave Samsung the Giant status in the first place ??
Wasn't it most of the US-EU companies outsourcing their.. everything, careless about the domino effect that had on us ?!
Wasn't us consumers that kept buying like craAazy their products ?!

So you see.. truth is ALWAYS in the middle folks and what I most certainly agree 100% with the above is.. think very well how you'll spend your holiday, and not only, money from now on.

killamike

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
So, let me get this straight. Samsung is suing a boutique system builder for using nVidia GPUs in their systems, essentially because they operate entirely in a state they want to litigate against nVidia in... Wow. That is just damn straight nasty. Samsung products, never again.

Top Tom

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Its time to boycott Samsung.

I was looking to buy a Samsung UE65HU8500 its the Curved home cinema screen now Samsung can shove it up its hole. Samsung is flinging FUD with this frivolous lawsuit against Velocity Micro or any other boutique PC builder.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I'm not going to lie. I'm still buying Samsung. For the same reason I always have. Something to be said for quality. While I don't agree with this, it wont stop me from buying their product. Good luck with your boycott...

Top Tom

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
I am not going to lie, I do Not have anything from Samsung and now I never will, they can keep their gimmicky curve crap screen, I was on the fence anyways but going after boutique PC builders hits me hard because I am one of them. Samsung needs to pay to use patents, sucking off of Apple wasn't enough, hope Nvidia wins big. Apple ran to TSMC and will be knocking on Intel's process door and slap Samsung's frivolous lawsuit face.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
They likely have no choice but to stop selling NVidia cards until this blows over. It would be a good PR stunt if AMD were to offer a deeper discount on their cards to the boutique shop.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
so Samsung decides to countersue as revenge, and decide to sue VM simply because they want to take advantage of Virginias speedy trials. They appear to be suing VM simply because they use Nvidias tegra chip. That just wrong. Who does that to a small business?!

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
A speedy trial won't get Samsung out of patent infringement elsewhere, and worse in this case 2yrs of WILLFUL INFRINGEMENT. It just speeds it up, unless they have some bought off judges or something there. But that shouldn't matter either as NV chose a JURY trial on purpose in their case (just as samsung seems to have done here, no buying off a judge). I don't get their tactics here. It will amount to a lot of american bad PR. Look at the posts here already. We buy (or don't buy this xmas) a lot of products so this doesn't seem like a good idea heading into xmas.

Did velocity claim K1 is faster than exynos? I thought NV did that, which would have nothing to do with a company simply using the soc. Reading their patents still but don't see much yet that would combat NV's stuff. Only read about 12 pages into the complaint so far, but it would seem NV wouldn't own much on tech that has purely lost money so far...LOL. Samsung's made billions on NV stuff however. Tegra hasn't made a profit yet, so hard to say it's hurting Samsung's business, the opposite however is hard to argue. I'll know more after I get time to read the whole thing and the last few patents but so far I'd say samsung is REALLY reaching here.

In the end here I think samsung (maybe qcom) is going to owe a large sum of money, and then the rest license NV tech and pay something for older products they infringed with to avoid more lawsuits. Apple will be stuck at some point after this first case is over. They won't get away with saying "it's imagination's fault" such as samsung claims it's basically qcom etc's fault for using NV tech. You are still selling products that infringe to end users. They pay Qcom for modem tech and it's a portion of the END product price ($30 or so, and I'm not talking the soc here)...Same story. NV's case is pretty open and shut after looking into everything; this new samsung suit, not sure. I can't wait to here their evidence ;) They're calling out Tegra and GPUs here (mentioned the 980).

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
What The Fuak?!
How many of us defended Samsung with the stupid Apple lawsuits?!
Dragging in VM into this crap is plain stupid... I generally like Samsung products - but I'm starting to really not LIKE the company. Glad my last few phones have NOT been Samsung.

I wanted to buy a Samsung Fridge... but will go American instead.

Suck it Samsung!

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
this update totally blew my Tech Preview. hadn't backed up user files or programdata in a few days so lost some program configs and game saves. was working great up until this update. i like the new Windows a little more than 8. was definitely happier when 7 was released than either of these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS