News Vendor Confirms RTX 4070 Ti is a Resurrected RTX 4080 12GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
...the only GPU worth buying from Nvidia is the 4090 because of its brute power and nothing else comes close. Everything below it so far seems terribly priced....

I normally grab an 80 series card but the fact the RTX 4080 16GB should have been the RTX 4070 TI performance wise and is therefore WAY over priced I cinched the belt on my anniversery/chrismas gift budgets (for myself not my wife and everyone else I am no grinch) and reluctantly got the 4090 for exactly what you're saying. Sadly the RTX 4090 at msrp is the best bang for buck this gen which is utterly insane...

Dec 7, 2022
The 12VHPWR issue has been really inflated at Tom's. I think Steve at GN approximated 50 cases out of 130k+ GPUs sold. Johnny Guru was one of the first to figure out (at least publicly), and Steve then proved over testing. I wish Tom's would've cut down on the fear mongering with this whole issue, or at least the GPU team should've done some real experiments/testing like Steve before the incomplete picture. AMD did the same thing and imo at least looks really bad now for their classless shade thrown at the 12VHPWR and NVIDIA during RDNA 3 introductions without ever doing any of their own testing either or in reality having an understanding of the issue. The plug with the tiny sense pins are very difficult to know when plugged in fully unless looking to make sure flush or using an alternative cable such as CableMod's that had a more robust clip with confirming sound. You kind of have to wiggle the cable as you push it in when about 90% of the way plugged in to get fully seated. The CableMod's were also individually grounded and crimped, which while not the issue, at least doesn't cause the problem of a non-fully seated 12VHPWR to be compounded.

The 4090 is an incredible GPU. I'm still impressed how much of an unexpected upgrade it has been to me over my 3090.

Co BIY

Splendid
Vote with your wallet folks. Just don't buy NGREEDIA. Then they will learn. Simple as that. FWIW the average card on Steam is in the 1660-3060 range. These are perfectly affordable and are what game writers will test against and optimise their software to. The law of diminishing returns is alive and well. No one except whales and youtubers care about the ridiculously expensive crap. Calm down. You don't need it.

Purchasing a Intel Arc or AMD card that meets that mainstream spec is a great option.

Reactions: artk2219

Alpha_Lyrae

Commendable
Nov 13, 2021
I'd hardly call a 192 bit memory interface "generous" on a -70 class part, let alone a -70 Ti part. Realistically, this should be a 4070 at best with the performance it offers. Toms needs to quit fondling Nvidias marketing drivel and consumers need to quit funding Jensens leather jacket fetish with these outlandish prices

It’s from Nvidia increasing L2 cache (48MB in AD104), which reduces pressure on VRAM and memory bandwidth. Same reason RDNA2 used 256-bit in 6900XT/6950XT and competed with 384-bit 3090/Ti.

You still need tons of bandwidth, but it’s coming from on-die in TB/s rather than VRAM.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
The 4090 is an incredible GPU. I'm still impressed how much of an unexpected upgrade it has been to me over my 3090.

I am coming from a 2080 Ti but I can attest the uptick in power is nutz. I went from playing Far Cry 6 with high settings 4K with scaling at 80% hitting between 90-100FPS at most times (80FPS sunset/rise) to now rendering ultimate for which I now get 105-135 FPS (95-100 sunset/rise) and if I max everything out with ray tracing I am getting the 90-100FPS (with drops to 85 at sunset/rise) which is utterly insane performance. I am mostly happy with my purchase though this card should have been the launch price of the RTX 4080 msrp at $1199 or MAYBE $1299 tops.

rmcrys

Commendable
Jun 11, 2020
I just bought a 3060TI for 200€ second hand and it's powerful enough to play everything at your fps, and if needed, dlss is there. Even so, I must say I'm proud team red and if I had to buy new, I would go AMD. Nvidia is absurdly greedy.

I'd hardly call a 192 bit memory interface "generous" on a -70 class part, let alone a -70 Ti part. Realistically, this should be a 4070 at best with the performance it offers. Toms needs to quit fondling Nvidias marketing drivel and consumers need to quit funding Jensens leather jacket fetish with these outlandish prices

Agreed, 192-bit is budget to mainstream at best. This article is less journalism and more kissing Nvidia's rear. I've been around for awhile and Tom's is becoming worse and worse every year.

trance77

Commendable
Aug 28, 2020
If this is 30% slower than a 4080 then agree it should be a 4060/TI not 4070TI, the gap is too big.

Both 4090 and 4080 have great performance to be fair and a big increase from previous generation, it's just that the prices are insane. 4080 almost double the price of 3080?! If they had been priced at 30 series prices + an increase for inflation then people would have been happy. With such high inflation and economies going into recession it will be interesting to see how sales go at these prices, I think Nvidia will be getting a reality check.

Brubbler

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022
Wow. This article. It's clear Nvidia sent this to Tom's all ready to go and said "Print it!" and Tom's dropped to it knees in front of nvidia and proclaimed "Boy oh boy! Will we ever!" This card is an insulting joke and every pc enthusiast knows it, Tom's chooses not to acknowledge it for what it is. Slow clap Tom's.

D

Deleted member 14196

Wow. This article. It's clear Nvidia sent this to Tom's all ready to go and said "Print it!" and Tom's dropped to it knees in front of nvidia and proclaimed "Boy oh boy! Will we ever!" This card is an insulting joke and every pc enthusiast knows it, Tom's chooses not to acknowledge it for what it is. Slow clap Tom's.
And if they said any of that they would not get anything else from Nvidia for review

it’s more a wink wink nudge nudge article. Say no more