Venice 3200+ and MSI K8N Neo2 Plat :(

AndyPants

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
Hello again,

Following from my other thread my new Venice 3200+ CPU, RAM and MSI K8N Neo2 mobo arrived today. After spending about 5 hours+ backing up my old machine I set about rebuilding it. This being my second complete build it seemed to go fairly smoothly and I was impressed how easy the CPU was to install.

And of course it was too good to be true. First boot I get a worrying beep and nothing happens, tried again same. So I checked the handy MSI diagnostic thing and to my dissapointment (and horror) it was the CPU. I begrudgingly took it apart, got rid of the thermal pad reminants and applied thermal paste. Then put it all back together and guess what, it still doesn't work.

A bit of an anti-climax and I'm worried the motherboard doesn't support it (But I haven't found anything to confirm this) as I can't see anything wrong with the way I installed it, I even followed 2 sets of instructions! (AMD and MSI). Any help would be appreciated :)

AndyPants

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
I know but I thought this was a bit 'off topic' and I thought it might've gotten ignored ;)

Forgot to mention I removed my ADSL modem from the special commication PCI slot thing incase that was causing any problems and also tried resetting the motherboards BIOS (it should be at default anyway, but just in case). Gahhh now I remember why I don't upgrade my CPU and BIOS very often hehe.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Did you connect the additional 4 pin power plug ? Last A64 build I also got the "cpu error" message, then realized the motherboard needed a 4 pin power supply.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

endyen

Splendid
Check the sticky in the mobo forum.
It's always a good idea to do a basic boot, before mounting the system in the case.
(includes one stick of ram, mobo, chip with hsf, graphics card and monitor and all required power connectors)
Use a jumper to replace the power switch .

AndyPants

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2005
ARGH I HATE PCS!!!!11

First of all thanks for your advice, I tried and checked it all. I took the motherboard out and messed about with just about everything checking it from grounding etc. Until I pin pointed the problem, the Graphics cards molex connector wasn't on...
Yes thanks to my wonderful new graphics fan system it successfully hides the socket and I of course forgot about it like I always do (old habits die hard I guess) . I tested it with my trustworthy 9800 and the PC booted with the fancy welcoming screens and a 'Athlon 64 3200+ hurrah!), then tried the 6800GT and low and behold it booted.

This is the last time I trust the MSI diagnostic device lol, CPU my arse! Of course it isn't fully working yet and for some reason the diagnostic thing says theres something wrong with the floppy drive (which I was using yesterday and its plugged in fine at both ends). Anywho hopefully thats all problems over (fingers crossed).