[SOLVED] Verifying the ram I am buying

Solution
I am not sure either, because you have an OEM motherboard and for the most part none of the memory manufactures (NOR does HP) show any compatibility lists for that board, only aftermarket motherboards. So there is no way, ZERO, to be sure of compatibility before hand. You simply have to try it. If you stick to kits which are known to be Ryzen compatible you will have an improved probability of compatibility but nothing is going to tell you for SURE so don't be entirely surprised if you have to try more than one kit. These prebuilt OEM systems were not built with the expectation of upgrades specifically in mind. They are built to serve a particular purpose and then be thrown away when they become unfit to continue being used for that...
It's the right type and the right speed, but that doesn't mean it will "work" in that motherboard. It's a Ryzen system, and Ryzen is grumpy when it comes to who it likes to play nice with. Complicating this is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a memory QVL list for that board AND Kingston, unlike G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial, does not have a compatibility utility that tells us whether a specific memory kit has been validated for use with a certain motherboard. For OEM boards like this, you probably won't ever find that information anyhow.

Fortunately, at speeds below 2666mhz most memory kits will work with most Ryzen motherboards, at least if they are aftermarket boards. OEM boards often don't have as broad of compatibility with as wide a selection of memory kits as aftermarket boards are. So this could go either way, but, the fact that it is a CL15 memory kit is pretty much a give away that those sticks were meant for use with Intel platforms because Ryzen does not like to play nice, at all, with odd numbered CL latency timing kits. You would be wise to try and find a DDR4 2400mhz kit with an even numbered CL latency (CL10, CL12, CL14, CL16, CL18, etc.) and I highly recommend looking first to G.Skill kits as they have repeatedly proven to be more compatible with most Ryzen motherboards in general than most other brands.

Nov 8, 2020
It's the right type and the right speed, but that doesn't mean it will "work" in that motherboard. It's a Ryzen system, and Ryzen is grumpy when it comes to who it likes to play nice with. Complicating this is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a memory QVL list for that board AND Kingston, unlike G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial, does not have a compatibility utility that tells us whether a specific memory kit has been validated for use with a certain motherboard. For OEM boards like this, you probably won't ever find that information anyhow.

Fortunately, at speeds below 2666mhz most memory kits will work with most Ryzen motherboards, at least if they are aftermarket boards. OEM boards often don't have as broad of compatibility with as wide a selection of memory kits as aftermarket boards are. So this could go either way, but, the fact that it is a CL15 memory kit is pretty much a give away that those sticks were meant for use with Intel platforms because Ryzen does not like to play nice, at all, with odd numbered CL latency timing kits. You would be wise to try and find a DDR4 2400mhz kit with an even numbered CL latency (CL10, CL12, CL14, CL16, CL18, etc.) and I highly recommend looking first to G.Skill kits as they have repeatedly proven to be more compatible with most Ryzen motherboards in general than most other brands.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I couldn't find a G.Skill ram kit that was 2400mhz with an even CL latency, also could I use a 2666mhz?

Anyways there are Corsair Vengeance ones and the Kingston HyperX ones for 2666mhz and the CL is 16 for both.
And for 2400mhz ones, there is a Corsair Vengeance CL16 and a Kingston HyperX Fury and G.Skill Trident Z which are both CL15 though.

Thanks!!

These SHOULD automatically downclock to 2400mhz, but yes, you can try the Hyper X 2666mhz kit. I'd probably avoid the Corsair LPX kits because while they CAN work, they seem to be very hit or miss with Ryzen platforms.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($97.90 @ Newegg Australia)
Total: $97.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-08 19:42 AEDT+1100

Nov 8, 2020
These SHOULD automatically downclock to 2400mhz, but yes, you can try the Hyper X 2666mhz kit. I'd probably avoid the Corsair LPX kits because while they CAN work, they seem to be very hit or miss with Ryzen platforms.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($97.90 @ Newegg Australia)
Total: $97.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-08 19:42 AEDT+1100

Thanks for the reply.

So I should do the https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232884
Its 3200mhz will that be fine and compatible with my motherboard HP Sunflower 8433?
So does this mean I can use any mhz and it can downclock?

If so can I use https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47019/g-skill-flare-x-16gb-2x8gb-3200mhz-cl16-ddr4
It's says ryzen compatible but unsure if my motherboard Sunflower is compatible.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020
Hello!

My motherboard is a HP Sunflower 8433. (https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05939208)

I was looking to install 16GB of ram and wasn't sure if it would work on my system.
I am using a 64 bit OS
and was looking to buy this https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47019/g-skill-flare-x-16gb-2x8gb-3200mhz-cl16-ddr4

I know this is a 3200mhz and my motherboard says it can have 2400mhz but can the ram downclock to 2400mhz.
Also this ram kit says it works on ryzen processers so I think this is suitable for my motherboard.
Please verify if it would work.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not sure either, because you have an OEM motherboard and for the most part none of the memory manufactures (NOR does HP) show any compatibility lists for that board, only aftermarket motherboards. So there is no way, ZERO, to be sure of compatibility before hand. You simply have to try it. If you stick to kits which are known to be Ryzen compatible you will have an improved probability of compatibility but nothing is going to tell you for SURE so don't be entirely surprised if you have to try more than one kit. These prebuilt OEM systems were not built with the expectation of upgrades specifically in mind. They are built to serve a particular purpose and then be thrown away when they become unfit to continue being used for that purpose or when the purpose changes. Upgrades are hit or miss on prebuilt OEM systems that often times might not have very accommodating hardware compatibility because they have MUCH leaner BIOSes than aftermarket systems.

Try it. Most systems WILL automatically downclock the memory to a speed it can handle. If yours won't, you may have to deal with trying another kit or sticking with a lower speed kit, but I'd be very surprised if one of those kits didn't work.

Solution