Verizon analog service going away?

I've been told that Verizon is taking their analog network out of
service over the next several months in the San Francisco Bay area.

Any truth to the rumor?

If true, how will it affect their coverage?

thanks, Isaac

Isaac,
Verizon, and all other carriers, are required by law to maintain their
analog networks into at least 2007 by law. Expect it to be much longer than
that before they turn it off.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"Isaac Wingfield" <isw@witzend.com> wrote in message
> I've been told that Verizon is taking their analog network out of
> service over the next several months in the San Francisco Bay area.
>
> Any truth to the rumor?
>
> If true, how will it affect their coverage?
>
> thanks, Isaac

The sales people have all been fed this get everyone off of analog mentality
and it's "morphed" into no more analog in n-weeks or months.

As an aside, I wonder how many cellsite "radios" are actually left in big
MSA's?
I make AMPS ( analog ) calls all the time and only once in a a while, in
Wash DC, get blocked but then I wonder how many analog calls get made
nowadays in big cities? Not expecting an answer, just pondering. ;-)

Scotty

"Bill Radio" <br@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> Isaac,
> Verizon, and all other carriers, are required by law to maintain their
> analog networks into at least 2007 by law. Expect it to be much longer
than
> that before they turn it off.
>
> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com
>

> "Isaac Wingfield" <isw@witzend.com> wrote in message
> > I've been told that Verizon is taking their analog network out of
> > service over the next several months in the San Francisco Bay area.
> >
> > Any truth to the rumor?
> >
> > If true, how will it affect their coverage?
> >
> > thanks, Isaac

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:58:15 GMT, "Scott Nelson - Wash DC"
<spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:

>The sales people have all been fed this get everyone off of analog mentality
>and it's "morphed" into no more analog in n-weeks or months.
>
>As an aside, I wonder how many cellsite "radios" are actually left in big
>MSA's?
>I make AMPS ( analog ) calls all the time and only once in a a while, in
>Wash DC, get blocked but then I wonder how many analog calls get made
>nowadays in big cities? Not expecting an answer, just pondering. ;-)
>
>Scotty

I live in the DC area and when I force the phone to analog, the calls
go through most of the time.

The thing is that not all the towers support analog. Some are digital
only and don't do analog. Hence that may be some of your problem.

Those towers that still support analog only have a couple of analog
channels available, allowing more digital ones to be used.

Dave

Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I live in the DC area and when I force the phone to analog, the calls
> go through most of the time.
>
> The thing is that not all the towers support analog. Some are digital
> only and don't do analog. Hence that may be some of your problem.

This is true. AMPS transceivers, running real transmitters, don't need 2-
mile-spacing. Unfortunately, digital phones with AMPS capability have 2
mile transmitters and pitifully woeful antennas to limit ranges and
increase company profits at the expense of customer service.

> Those towers that still support analog only have a couple of analog
> channels available, allowing more digital ones to be used.

Not true, Dave. I tried to find the frequency chart URL showing the CDMA
blocks between the AMPS channels, but lost it. Anyone know where Dave can
view the chart?

Bagphone Larry...(c;

Reports of AMPS demise are greatly exaggerated. The Presidential Limo uses
cryptographic signals on AMPS! We're quite safe. Crypto barfs at low-rez
8 or 11 Khz sample rates...(c;