Verizon Answering to FCC Over Nexus 7 "Block"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Verizon is the epitome of corporate greed and putting the consumer at the bottom of the totem pole. Their customer service is abyssal.

I really hope Google or someone else goes forward with a mobile data service because someone needs to shake up the current duopoly in place.

ATT and Verizon charge the same prices for the same services. Yeah that's competition.

williamf3000

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
It seems obvious that Verizon is intentionally dragging its feet. Too bad consumers have no real way to penalize them for this bad behavior. Unfortunately, if any of use switches to another carrier we are just trading one devil for another.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Having personally/professionally dealt with VZW ... for years ... and then personally firing them. Now using a work phone only thru them. I look forward to seeing a financial "nuclear bomb" detonated on their corporate doorstep. FCC... take no prisoners...

I seriously doubt any of that would happen, as customers and customer service are alien/unknown concepts to VZW, ... and I actually think VZW and the FCC are in bed together.

Alathorne

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
A skilled craftsperson I knew at Verizon some years back said their motto was "We don't care because we don't have to!" I submit that they have been adhering to that motto for decades, and still do.

You realize that fine would trickle down to the consumer, right?

Either way I am not sure how this would be anything major as it is also within Verizons' realm to decide not to support a product. Its the same as a companies right to refuse service to someone.

This is almost like someone wanting to use a HTC One or S4 from AT&T on Verizons network, which according to the rules Verizon would have to allow. Except AT&T use different phone networks.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If this is won against Verizon, then that would open a flood gate of products to be used and would cause some problems I would assume.

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
A network is a complex thing. Wireless is extremely hard to do, compared to normal wired networking. I can't blame Verizon for wanting to test a device before allowing it on the network. All vendors do this. If you don't you're asking for a world of hurt.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Testing a device my ass. Someone called BS on Verizon AGAIN not following the access rules they are required to and then they come up with this stupid certification excuse. There's no reason to certify the device if you're not selling it, either the hardware works or it doesn't. Since it works on AT&T, T-mobile, and works with SIMs from other Verizon devices then it clearly works. If it goes through a normal Verizon certification process then it won't be certified until sometime after the next Nexus 7 gets discontinued.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Listen folks. This all boils down to ONE main issue, the government regulations. Phone companies lobbied for legislation ?(which your representatives agreed to) to restrict access across networks. Without the government in to muck up the free market rules, you WOULD be able to but phones and devices which worked across all networks.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

What are you even talking about? What support for a product?
This is an issue with someone going to buy a SIM card (or equivalent in CDMA network) to stick in their phone but being refused because Verizon have not "certified" some device that they do not sell or use. No one is asking for support of a product that was bought outside of Verizon's store. FCC already did their test for interference and such ... there is no need for Verizon to make stuff up and "certify" devices that already passed required testing.

It is an obvious predatory policy that limits you from brining a phone that you bought somewhere else thus forcing you to buy and spend more $$$ on Verizon's devices that they got for fraction of what they sell them for.

And what flood gate will this open? Europeans and many Asian counties have been using multi-SIM and multi band devices for decades now ... don't let any carriers BS you into thinking that this will bring the end of the world to cellphones. They just want to give you the least possible wiggle room and make it as hard as possible to move so you will not want to move.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
What a BS excuse, standards were created so that so that things could be known to work beforehand. I am sure that verizon is not making some kind of stupid chance to make the wireless technology non standard.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
For those not familiar with the US markets, we're still trying to get out of the Dark Ages of having to buy phones direct from carriers, even on gsm networks.

For those in the US who think we're still stuck, LTE is a different beastie. Yes Verizon's main network is CDMA and SIMless vs AT&T's GSM. But LTE *does* use SIMs, on all networks. And if an AT&T LTE phone can see the frequencies of the Verizon LTE network, it's going to work there. The manufacturer had to do interop testing with all sorts of network equipment. Verizon's *certification* is them kicking and screaming and trying to hold on to the Dark Ages, and the extra money that extra control means for them.

G

well, if verizon decide to trickle it to user, how do you think user will react ? double slap :D

lasterror

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Why not get a new SIM and just use that? On This Week In Google, Jeff said he wanted to add his Nexus 7 to his existing shared Verizon data plan which would cost him an additional $10 a month. This is what Verizon refused to do. He could obtain another SIM intended for some other device -this is known to work- but doing so would cost $40 a month, not $10. And ultimately Verizon needed to comply with the regulations rather than the customer needing to go around the issue and pay more.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I suggest that in cases such as this, Verizon should be obligated to provide its customers with a free temprary SIM card that is activated on a competitor's network with a comparable level of service - at Verizon's expense - until such time as Verizon can certify the device.

Let's see how quickly they work through that certification process then.

G

So should I return there new Nexus 7 I just bought and not give Verizon another $10 per month?

LinuxNinja

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
You can get Verizon to give you a SIM to activate your tablet. The tablet make/model doesn't matter. Getting them to issue the SIM is the hold-up. Find an IMEI number, any IMEI number for any tablet already made for the Verizon Network. Give them that IMEI number, they will do a lookup, find that it's a tablet, issue the SIM, and add $10/month to your bill plus $35 activation. Put that SIM in ANY LTE device you have that has LTE on Verizon's frequencies. You now have a $10/month data-only device, even it it's a MiFi or cell phone. Verizon doesn't offer data-only for cell phones, but this way you can work around the system. You can move that SIM from phone to tablet, tablet to MiFi, back to tablet, doesn't matter. The IMEI number you give them tells them what the device is and what to bill per month for it. This, of course, may change in the future.

G

So should I return there new Nexus 7 I just bought and not give Verizon another $10 per month?

Status
Not open for further replies.