Verizon Edge Needs "Max" Plan For Unlimited Data Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Nope, not getting rid of my 4G unlimited plan, I will just buy my own phone and replace the one I have while keeping my plan. I still pay $30 for unlimited data and plan on keeping it until they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
If you want to keep your unlimited data plan from Verizon and take advantage of subsidized phones, aka upgrade, there is a simple solution.

First open up a new line on a different contract, and use that account to purchase the new phone of your choosing at the reduced rate. Then simply transfer the new phone onto your old number. Then purchase or bring in an old non data type phone to put on the new line. Get the cheapest plan available for the new line, which is around $10-$15 per month.

You will be paying slightly more per month, but you will be able to keep your unlimited data, and you will even have an emergency phone available. The amount you would pay for the life of the contract will be around $300. Compare that to the roughly $500 you save from Verizon subsidies on a phone like a Galaxy S4, and this idea makes far more sense.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Guess I'm a retard then.

And they weren't banned for adding a fee for tethering, they were banned from blocking apps that allow tethering. As a result, instead of charging a fee for tethering, they created new tiers of data service that happen to include tethering under the assumption that people who tether would use slightly more data. Which is pretty much spot on for me. Prior to tethering I used 1.75gb/month. Now I use around 3.25gb a month, which is more than their 2gb plan, but just the right amount for their 4gb + tethering plan.

It is almost like Verizon studied their customer's usage habits or something. ;)

Ironkidz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
3.25 gb?! Lol.... thats nothing. Try a minimum of 17gb a month. I would NEVER get this plan. They are trying to make us bite for some crap plan which I guarantee will continuously get smaller and smaller and smaller. Screw that. Keep a second line with a basic voice only plan, upgrade on that one, and switch the device. K, Thanks, Bye.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Why pay for tethering? It's easy enough to fix the phone so you don't need to. Or is Verizon only offering it's highest size package with tethering? They're so far out of touch I don't even look at what they offer unless it's in a piece like this. These articles of course give me a laugh and a shudder that a company this vile is so popular.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Verizon and AT&T are such rip offs. However, here's the beautiful thing, Straighttalk wireless, you can get a phone on AT&T's network, with unlimited talk, text, and data for $45 a month. You can even buy unlocked smartphones and put them on Straighttalk with a SIM card.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

They were banned from adding a fee to tethering for people on an capped plan. However, the courts said they could continue to charge a tethering fee for those on an unlimited plan.

http://www.zdnet.com/verizon-no-free-tethering-for-unlimited-data-plan-customers-7000001987/

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

Do you utilize this method? Could you explain in a bit more detail?
They do not let you purchase a smart phone on a non-data plan, or at least do not give me that option.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009

I'm not sure how they do it but I do know I was able to circumvent it on the Cricket network by using https for all the sites I visited. Else, I'm redirected to their page offering to add tethering for $10/mo.

brazuka331

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

Basically you are signing another 2-year contract with a new number, what he did tell you is that if you currently only have one phone you will have to change you plan to a family plan to do what he is talking about. which is a increase of more like $30 per month.

If you already have a family plans then its only $10 more a month to do what he is saying. You are basicaly just doing a getting lets say an GS

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Packet inspection covers it. If you take a look at the protocols and/or websites being used it'll be sort of obvious when someone is tethering. Makes me love my Tmobile even more, even without the unlocked phone I would get free tethering.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Have you actually tried this? Does this actually work? Verizon isn't smart enough to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was given a subsidized smartphone? AT&T used to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was opened with (or otherwise got) a subsidized smartphone; you had to carry the smartphone plans on that account for the duration of the 2 year contract regardless of where your subsidized phone went. So it would end up costing more like $2000 for 2 years.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Have you actually tried this? Does this actually work? Verizon isn't smart enough to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was given a subsidized smartphone? AT&T used to enforce smartphone plans on an account that was opened with (or otherwise got) a subsidized smartphone; you had to carry the smartphone plans on that account for the duration of the 2 year contract regardless of where your subsidized phone went. So it would end up costing more like $2000 for 2 years.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

I don't think they do that, at least not for every phone. With my Bionic all that is needed is an SQL DB editor and about 20 seconds to enable tethering and Hotspot without paying. I use it all the time when I go out of time and don't feel like paying the hotel for WiFi access or going to McDonald's for free WiFi :p

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I used to use FoxFi to do the same (too lazy to edit the DB) but between the delayed updates, locked phones, and general Verizon shenanigans I just got tired of dealing with them. I see this as a turning point for Verizon, either they understand they operate at the whim of there customer's or they start going downhill.

brazuka331

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

My side job i work at Best Buy Mobile, people do this all the time, they dont enforce you to carry a data plan if the phone on the line is not a smartphone.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I must have been unlucky; AT&T didn't give a hoot if I had moved to using a dumbphone after opening an account with a smartphone within the 2 years; they required the account to carry the smartphone's plan for the duration of the 2 years. Maybe Verizon is less lax about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.