Verizon Launches 500 Mbps FiOS Tier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I'm paying AT&T $25 a month for 768 kb/s internet.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

I agree, it's a problem with all of the big 3 cell phone carriers. They overcharge for all of their products, whether it's cell phone plans, internet plans, home phone plans, etc.

Comcast isn't much better on the internet side of things, $50 for 6 mbit/s really isn't that good, far below the national average. I wish Cox was available in my area, you can get 5 mbit/s for $35 and 25 mbit/s for $57 a month from them.

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I can't even get Comcast... I wish Cox was available to me too. Hell, I wish Google Fiber was available for me.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Many rural areas in the US can't even get broadband internet, so it doesn't really matter what Verizon offers or charges since it doesn't and won't apply to them. There are areas not far from Philadelphia that can't get internet beyond dial up! ISPs really need to start offering at least some kind of broadband access to all of the US.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Elephant in the room. If Comcast's area coverage if like the Pacific Ocean, then Verizon's FiOS' coverage is like Lake Erie, and Google Fiber is like a large-ish rain puddle.

Simply put the fiber discussion is relevant only to those who can actually get it (price notwithstanding), and that number is extreeeemely small. Whenever Comcast is discussed millions of people are concerned, but as for fiber, only tens of thousands if even that much.

game junky

Distinguished
Sadly, none of the ultra high speed solutions are available in good ol' Wichita, KS. At this point, our best hope is that google fiber will keep making it's way further south down the Kansas turnpike until it hits us. :)
It makes me glad to see that Google's little gigabit internet connectivity experiment has paid of. They didn't want to become ISPs, they wanted to force other providers to cowboy up and start upgrading their infrastructure and providing ultra high speed options for their customers.

Cox...I am looking at you, you have a fiber ring around this metropolitan area. Get moving - I would love to have a setup similar to the google fiber equipment they're using in Kansas City. Cable over fiber including 1 TB of internal storage and 1 TB of cloud storage and 1gbps download speeds. Nobody does it better

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
Most people in the US can get fios, as it is available in just about every metropolitan area. About 5 people can get Google fiber.

Verizon can charge whatever they want until they get some competition.

USAFRet

Titan
And the price is not necessarily 'ridiculous'. Imagine you're a college guy, sharing a house with 4 others. Everybody has a laptop, there's a couple of playstations and Xboxes...throw in a tablet or two.

For a single family house, yes, it is way too much. But split 4 or 5 ways and the price isn't that bad.

duanekimball

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I have FIOS 75/35 here in NJ and get 83Mbps on speedtest. that's around 10MB/sec download speeds. But, it's rare any sites are that fast. Even when downloading from sites, it's typical to get 2.5MB/sec per session. I think 500Mbps would be a waste if it's unusable. Anyone out there have that kind of speed and realize it?

major-error

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I'm sure that every Big Red marketing droid will tell you that they're also charging these high rates to subsidize expansion into more markets. As for the rest of us living in the real world, we all know that less than 1/10 of 1% will be reinvested while the rest will go straight into the shareholders' pockets [OMG, profits!]

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Don't be a retard. These companies wouldn't exist without profits.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
At this point everything falls short of Google Fiber for price and speed. Not too mention the free basic for 7 years. But until Google Fiber is more widely available, ISPs will continue to do what they want.

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I wish any of these companies would come to Rochester, NY. Time Warner can charge you whatever they want here because they have no competition (frontier doesn't count as competition).

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I pay the equivalent of 45 dollars per month for 7.6 Mbps down, 640 kbps up in Belgium, about 10 miles from the capital of Europe. It's a good thing things like these don't scale linearly.

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

...I get 70kb/s download speeds.. it takes me hours (and days) to download games.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
super fast internet is for like scientific labs that export huge raw data.

Or your average joe who wants to download an illustrated step by step guide on how to build Rome in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.