Verizon Launches 500 Mbps FiOS Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it unlimited bandwidth though? One of the ISP's in Canada is offering a 175mb/s up and down fiber package, but only 300GB per month cap on transfers. With a 175mb/s, I could burn through 300GB in a few days. ISP's still don't get that more speed doesn't mean anything if you can't use it for more than 5 days a month. It's like giving someone a Porsche, and 3 gallons of gas. Sure you can get it up to 200 for about 3 seconds, then you're out of gas.

Is it unlimited bandwidth though? One of the ISP's in Canada is offering a 175mb/s up and down fiber package, but only 300GB per month cap on transfers. With a 175mb/s, I could burn through 300GB in a few days. ISP's still don't get that more speed doesn't mean anything if you can't use it for more than 5 days a month. It's like giving someone a Porsche, and 3 gallons of gas. Sure you can get it up to 200 for about 3 seconds, then you're out of gas.

Problem up here, too few companies offer net, cell, etc, so they can do what they want like ofer 175/175 and a 300GB cap.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I think you would all crap yourself in fear if you had to use the internet in Australia, at home im lucky if I get over 1.5Mbps >< best I ever got was 5Mbps and thats only because I could spit on the exchange from my window at the time. Oh wells, have to wait on the governments fibre roll out...

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
300 dollars a month? that's like £200 I pay £20 a month (although I don't get as good internet as someone paying the exact same amount in say derby or Manchester due to me being in the arse end of nowhere)

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Yeah I don't understand Bell Canada at all. I switched from them to my local cable company. Almost 2 years ago.

When they asked me why i was cancelling my service, I told them they were unable to offer me a service that suits my needs. He asked what my needs were and I told him, unlimited usage. I even told him I would be willing to pay more for it. He went off and asked his supervisor or whatever...comes back on the line and concedes that they are unable to offer what I need blah blah blah...

Horrible business model. I mean, it would have so simple for them too keep me as a customer. I went from paying taxes included, about $80/ month for bell 16/1 Mbit with 195GB cap to $60/month for 25Mbit UNLIMITED. I would have kept the slower speeds to avoid the hassle of switching ISPs had they JUST GAVE ME UNLIMITED USAGE!

OK Here is an average person out of the range of Fios and google Piss off the both of you as none of you can compare to the average price of internet around my area "Western Mass" I will stick with The cheapest around, Yes we are a tourist destination, there is no where like the Berkshires. We are the Hub to Mass and the Green mountains and Boston but we are the ones that get screwed by the the rest because we are "the mountain folk" google and verizon which is our land line service can piss off because I am so fed up with there service I have shut Off my land service and have have gone with a different carrier for cellular service. Don't let the adds fool you they are shitty, you will have your own experiance but try being in the mist of every thing and get passed over, then you will get the Idea.

vlaframboise

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
up here (montreal) i'm paying 145$/month for 120mb down and 20mb up. normally it's limited to 300gb/month but videotron (deff not bell) is negociable, reps got great discretionary possibilities and understant BIG bandwith users.... considering I live in a country with less than 4 individuals per square kilometre....

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

My internet doesn't get over 1mb, I get about 700 kb/s on a good day. I love AT&T.

In the good ol' (rural) USA

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Google is the only ISP (off of the top of my head) I know that doesn't have a data cap. I have a 150gb data cap with DSL.

John Bauer-1363825

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

Verizon's price is ridiculous. And you certainly should care that they don't offer better speeds, because there isn't enough demand yet for better speeds and better prices.

This is coming from a guy in a rural area that can't even get Comcast. I can only get AT&T.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

I agree with you the author in the article wrote , to be fair to Verizon at least they are offering this speed, and I'm saying who cares because it cost 300. That's like saying we have the cure for the common cold but it will cost you 10 million a dose. It's ridiculous pricing because who can afford that.

michalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
The prices of Google/Gigabit/whatever doesn't matter if Verizon has fiber to your house and the others have no published plans to deliver it. I have Verizon fios; its fast, and I'm glad that I can use it instead of one of the crappy cable companies. Of course I would defect to Google Fiber in a second, but Google hasn't decided my neighborhood is worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.