[SOLVED] Vermeer Motherboards

Dizturb3dwun

Honorable
Mar 2, 2014
So, I'm still on a 6600k, and Plan on a big leap to the vermeer equiv of either a 3700 or 3900. However, in the vein of that, I have 1 issue that I can't find an answer too anywhere.(including here D:)

I'm aware the current 500 series motherboards are gonna compatible with them, however, are there going to be NEW motherboards when it launches, and should I wait to buy one of those? Or get a highly regarded one of the current series? This is driving me loopy D:!

I have the new parts for my new build all in my closet, EXCEPT the mothboard and CPU (cant get the cpu yet, obv), and I really wanna know If I should be expecting to wait awhile to buy a new motherboard with the new series.

Sorry if it's a little rambly...

TLDR: Should I buy a 550/570 now, or wait till Vermeer launches and buy whatever releases alongside (assuming something does)

Solution
are there going to be NEW motherboards when it launches

Almost certainly, yes - There has been new chipsets for each 1000 series increment.

I have the new parts for my new build all in my closet, EXCEPT the mothboard and CPU (cant get the cpu yet, obv), and I really wanna know If I should be expecting to wait awhile to buy a new motherboard with the new series.

Given the motherboard is one of the more likely to be DOA (slim chance, but possible) coupled with the fact you won't be using it until you have the CPU once launched & available, I'd hold off on buying a motherboard.

Realistically, I'd of held off buying anything until I could use it near immediately..
However, given you're already on a DDR4 platform, you...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
are there going to be NEW motherboards when it launches

Almost certainly, yes - There has been new chipsets for each 1000 series increment.

Given the motherboard is one of the more likely to be DOA (slim chance, but possible) coupled with the fact you won't be using it until you have the CPU once launched & available, I'd hold off on buying a motherboard.

Realistically, I'd of held off buying anything until I could use it near immediately..
However, given you're already on a DDR4 platform, you could use/test RAM/GPU/Storage/PSU in the meantime, make sure they all work.

But when it comes to a motherboard, I'd recommend holding off.
There may be substantial changes in IO etc (unlikely)...... but the biggest benefit of picking up a board with a compatible chipset from the outset is that it avoids the need for a BIOS update. On all but the top-tier boards, you need a compatible CPU in order to perform the BIOS update..... Something you won't be able to do with the hardware you have on-hand.

Solution
The truth is we don't know for sure, haven't seen any rumours of new motherboards however one thing that is likely is new chipset or not, you will need a motherboard with an updated bios in order to support the new cpu's (so if they stick with the same chipset you will need to get one with 'Ryzen 5000 ready' or whatever on the box, or you will need an older cpu to update the bios first before installing the new chip)....

On that basis I think you have two ways forward...

1: Wait until after the new cpu's are launched, then get a board that is compatible out of the box (note though you may have to wait a while, as I expect it will take a while for decent availability once launched) or...

2: Purchase a B550 / X570 motherboard now, and also get a placeholder cpu (something inexpensive like a R3 3100) to get your machine up and running with and allow you to update to the new bios when released.

In terms of which is best, I guess it depends on how long you are willing to wait to build the machine. If they do release a new chipset I'm not expecting much over the current 500 series- they are already PCIe 4.0 and it's confirmed it will still be DDR4 memory (AMD will move to a new socket once DDR5 is ready), so it's likely to be a minor update. Also B550 is really new so I don't expect a new midrange chipset any time soon, they might release a new X670 option if they release anything at all so depends what category board you are thinking of.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I also don't know how to close a thread, but FOR ANY VIEWERS, THANKS, I HAVE DECIDED TO FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE!

There's no need to 'close' a thread, but you can select a best answer:

Reactions: cdrkf