Vertex2 40GB vs 120GB performance.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Manufacturers always send reviewers the biggest, baddest, fastest, and unfortunately most expensive, versions of their products for review. What about the ones that people can afford? Most of us have already heard that lower capacity versions of SSD drives utilize less channels and in some cases less controllers than the bigger versions. Right now Newegg.com has a sale on the 40GB OCZ Vertex2 for $124 while that is still a little small for a system drive, it would do as a boot drive with maybe a few apps or games. I'm sure many of you agree that the price is definately mainstream and opens it open for many buyers. I'm kind of itching to take the plunge but I've only found a single vague reference to its performance compared to its big brothers. It only compares a few metrics and its from the Mfg. They're one of the best and most trusted names in SSD but I'd still rather see a comparison from a _relatively_ neutral 3rd party.

So, big prize for someone who can give me some solid facts about the performance differences between the 40GB Vertex2 and one of the bigger versions.

The read/write spec on that drive seem to be better than good.

But with only 40GB, that's kinda tight. But I only use 22+GB on my rig, with Win7, Office 2007 Entreprise, Quicken 2010, iTunes, and Norton (the largest applications I can think of).

Might be safer to get a OCZ Vertex 2 60GB, which I noticed are out of stock, and the 100GB's are $$. But it's your call.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

I hadn't heard about the rebate but I never count those anyways....

The read/write spec on that drive seem to be better than good.
Yes, it appears to be great. I'd really like to hear from someone that has gotten one of these and benched it to see if its true. Or better yet, has both and compared their benchmarks.