[SOLVED] Vertical GPU Mount Speed Limitation?

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm getting ready for my new build once the new 30 series GPUs come out but I have a question. I had planned to use Lian Li's Vertical GPU Mount in my Lancool II Mesh for aesthetic reasons, until I realised it has a speed limitation of 8Gb/s. How much would this affect the performance of my GPU? I would like a vertical mount simply because I like the look of it but I certainly don't want to sacrifice performance. For reference the card I'm looking at is the 3080 and the CPU it'll be paired up with is a i9-10900K, and I will be gaming at 1440p.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm getting ready for my new build once the new 30 series GPUs come out but I have a question. I had planned to use Lian Li's Vertical GPU Mount in my Lancool II Mesh for aesthetic reasons, until I realised it has a speed limitation of 8Gb/s. How much would this affect the performance of my GPU? I would like a vertical mount simply because I like the look of it but I certainly don't want to sacrifice performance. For reference the card I'm looking at is the 3080 and the CPU it'll be paired up with is a i9-10900K, and I will be gaming at 1440p.

Thanks!

The limit is the riser cable and that just happens to be the limit of PCIE 3.0. You'd need to find a PCIE 4.0 compatible riser cable and these are...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi all,

Thanks!

The limit is the riser cable and that just happens to be the limit of PCIE 3.0. You'd need to find a PCIE 4.0 compatible riser cable and these are still spotty and expensive. Whether the bandwidth difference matters is something you'll likely have to wait for testing to see.

Solution

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
The limit is the riser cable and that just happens to be the limit of PCIE 3.0. You'd need to find a PCIE 4.0 compatible riser cable and these are still spotty and expensive. Whether the bandwidth difference matters is something you'll likely have to wait for testing to see.

Thanks for the reply. Would that matter though? I thought the i9-10900k was PCIe gen 3, not 4.