Vertical lines on NEC monitor

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Hi,

I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
"sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
> "sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
> on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
> horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?

Sounds like a problem with the VGA card. Try on a different
computer/VGA to verify. Might be a problem with some
row/column amplifiers in the video-RAM.

Arno
--
For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

On 13 Nov 2004 10:13:12 -0800, oparr@hotmail.com (oparr) put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
>"sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
>on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
>horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?

There was a very similar question at sci.electronics.repair recently:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Howfd.6958%24Ae.6584%40newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dinsubject:Faint%2Binsubject:vertical%2Binsubject:streaks%2Binsubject:eek:n%2Binsubject:new%2Binsubject:monitor%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26as_qdr%3Dm3%26selm%3DHowfd.6958%2524Ae.6584%2540newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net%26rnum%3D1

The OP had a SiS 6326 graphics card and a Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17"
monitor.


- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not any
particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated a
similar condition with another NEC monitor;

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7

Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
Leaning towards the latter.

"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:fvidp0hg4qkqmahstu4q3529bccnsn05hb@4ax.com...
> On 13 Nov 2004 10:13:12 -0800, oparr@hotmail.com (oparr) put finger to
> keyboard and composed:
>
>>I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
>>"sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
>>on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
>>horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?
>
> There was a very similar question at sci.electronics.repair recently:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Howfd.6958%24Ae.6584%40newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dinsubject:Faint%2Binsubject:vertical%2Binsubject:streaks%2Binsubject:eek:n%2Binsubject:new%2Binsubject:monitor%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26as_qdr%3Dm3%26selm%3DHowfd.6958%2524Ae.6584%2540newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net%26rnum%3D1
>
> The OP had a SiS 6326 graphics card and a Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17"
> monitor.
>
>
> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not any
> particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated a
> similar condition with another NEC monitor;

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7

> Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
> Leaning towards the latter.

I tend to agree. Pretty strange effect. Maybe a mechanical thing with
the mask?

Arno
--
For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

On 14 Nov 2004 18:31:21 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not any
>> particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated a
>> similar condition with another NEC monitor;
>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7
>
>> Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
>> Leaning towards the latter.
>
>I tend to agree. Pretty strange effect. Maybe a mechanical thing with
>the mask?
>
>Arno

You could smack the face of the CRT and check whether the lines
vibrate.


- Franc Zabkar
--
Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:scbfp019chds2s08dsrd8jqombb8gbsm24@4ax.com...
> On 14 Nov 2004 18:31:21 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> put finger
> to keyboard and composed:
>
>>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not
>>> any
>>> particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated
>>> a
>>> similar condition with another NEC monitor;
>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7
>>
>>> Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
>>> Leaning towards the latter.
>>

Could be "yoke ringing", in which case a "tuning capacitor" on the
deflection yoke
my have failed, if it appeared recently. Ringing lines should look a bit
like waves, or
at least not narrow lines - original poster did not indicate whether they
are somewhat
wide, or maybe quite narrow (pixel size?). ringing is also typically mostly
on the left
side of the screen.
If so, what to do? Try asking NEC if they have a known problem, and how
they
satisfy their valuable customers who do see such problems.

HTH,
NGA
 

Similar threads