Question vertical purple line on display

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi everyone...
As in the title... My dell 2001FP monitor is showing a vertical line ,It was disappearing after some time since is ever showed up and now its permanent on my screen and not disappearing at all
I tried screenshot but not it was clear since its the monitor's screen
Can anyone help me whats wrong with it and how to fix it
Thanks.. I really need to fix it because its to annoying...

Hi everyone...
As in the title... My dell 2001FP monitor is showing a vertical line ,It was disappearing after some time since is ever showed up and now its permanent on my screen and not disappearing at all
I tried screenshot but not it was clear since its the monitor's screen
Can anyone help me whats wrong with it and how to fix it
Thanks.. I really need to fix it because its to annoying...

Hi, there are a number of issues that can cause a problem like that. First question, are you running the screen off a VGA cable or DVI? It might be worth trying it on the other cable type to see if it's a connection issue.

Also have you tested your machine on a different monitor? I think the monitor will be the issue rather than the graphics board but worth a quick test just to prove it.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi, there are a number of issues that can cause a problem like that. First question, are you running the screen off a VGA cable or DVI? It might be worth trying it on the other cable type to see if it's a connection issue.

Also have you tested your machine on a different monitor? I think the monitor will be the issue rather than the graphics board but worth a quick test just to prove it.
Thanks for replying..
Im using DVI-D cable and i have tried using a VGA cable but it still shows that... Tried with other pc but still doesnt fix the problem and using other monitor on my pc and they are fine with it.

Thanks for replying..
Im using DVI-D cable and i have tried using a VGA cable but it still shows that... Tried with other pc but still doesnt fix the problem and using other monitor on my pc and they are fine with it.

Ah ok- in that case it's a problem with the monitor itself. The fact it happens on both connections means it isn't a controller issue. It's possibly a bad connection between the monitor panel and control board. You might be able to fix it, however that will require dismantling the monitor...

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Ah ok- in that case it's a problem with the monitor itself. The fact it happens on both connections means it isn't a controller issue. It's possibly a bad connection between the monitor panel and control board. You might be able to fix it, however that will require dismantling the monitor...
Okay i can open it up tell me what to do with it ..also what is the cause? Deffective panel or its jammed by dust? Never opened it anyways.

Okay i can open it up tell me what to do with it ..also what is the cause? Deffective panel or its jammed by dust? Never opened it anyways.

Hi, sorry it's been a while! If you open up the monitor- you are looking for the cable (usually a ribbon cable) that connects the panel itself to the control PCB internally. The cable is usually held in with a clip lock type mechanism.

It can sometimes help to remove the cable, make sure the contacts are clean, then reseat it into the connector to get a better connection.

It's also not a bad idea to give everything a clean. If that doesn't fix the issue then the panel itself is dead- worth a shot though. Just make sure to keep a careful note of the orientation of the cable and such!

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi, sorry it's been a while! If you open up the monitor- you are looking for the cable (usually a ribbon cable) that connects the panel itself to the control PCB internally. The cable is usually held in with a clip lock type mechanism.

It can sometimes help to remove the cable, make sure the contacts are clean, then reseat it into the connector to get a better connection.

It's also not a bad idea to give everything a clean. If that doesn't fix the issue then the panel itself is dead- worth a shot though. Just make sure to keep a careful note of the orientation of the cable and such!
I would open the monitor but my friend sad you will completely lose your monitor if you open it... So is there anything like that if i open it and won't be able to close it again after cleaning? It's a risk to me tho if you could guide me through some videos or anything...i really wanna get rid of the line but if it's gonna make it die then im okay with it... So any suggestions? Thankyou

I can't find your exact monitor, but this video on Youtube shows you a similar screen being taken apart:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7JyfCvWkQ

I've dismantled a few screens for various repairs- if you are confident enough to dismantle / re-assemble a computer tower a screen isn't really any more difficult. I would suggest you take photos as you go (so you can easily refer back when putting it back together).

The connection that I think you need to look at is the one the guy refers to at ~ 3:30 mark. Its the main connection between the panel and the control board. Depending on how your screen is packaged internally you may not need to remove that much stuff to get to that connector.

All I think you need to do is disconnect it, make sure all the connector is clean and put it back together again. They can become loose over time and the contacts can get dirty, both of which would result in lines appearing on the screen where there is a bad contact. As I mentioned this isn't a guaranteed fix- the panel itself could be the problem in which case the line will persist but thought it is worth a try. If you really don't feel comfortable doing this though I'd say don't. It's better to have a working screen with a line than no screen!

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I can't find your exact monitor, but this video on Youtube shows you a similar screen being taken apart:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz7JyfCvWkQ

I've dismantled a few screens for various repairs- if you are confident enough to dismantle / re-assemble a computer tower a screen isn't really any more difficult. I would suggest you take photos as you go (so you can easily refer back when putting it back together).

The connection that I think you need to look at is the one the guy refers to at ~ 3:30 mark. Its the main connection between the panel and the control board. Depending on how your screen is packaged internally you may not need to remove that much stuff to get to that connector.

All I think you need to do is disconnect it, make sure all the connector is clean and put it back together again. They can become loose over time and the contacts can get dirty, both of which would result in lines appearing on the screen where there is a bad contact. As I mentioned this isn't a guaranteed fix- the panel itself could be the problem in which case the line will persist but thought it is worth a try. If you really don't feel comfortable doing this though I'd say don't. It's better to have a working screen with a line than no screen!
I totally agreed... I dont wanna lose it cuz i cant afford anyother monitor atm.. But that line gives me headache whenever im playing games like csgo... Just confuses me with the sniper crosshair and draws attention... I hit wrong objects because of this line.. Also i dont think i can open it because there are no screws in the monitor and sounds too risky for me... So can i refer to any mechanic that repairs tvs? But problem is they tell us the repair price more than the monitors price itself... Another thing that this monitor is always warm so is heat the problem for this or its dust?

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Try applying pressure to your screen, where upper and lower end of the purple line is.
See if, that makes purple line disappear.
If it does, then stick piece of folded paper behind bezel in those points.
I tried applying pressure and that line just wont change but another thing i concluded that when background is white... Line is purple... When background is black, the line is purple but when bg is blue... (Windows 10 wallpaper) the line becomes blue why is that changing color?

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Ii found a video
It's most likely bad contact between lcd matrix and contacts on edge of the screen connecting it to monitor electronics.
I found a video which shows what cdrkf told me to do with those ribbons... Those ribbons are lose and the person in the video glued them with a rigid plastic to fix them however my problem here is that i cant dismantle the monitor myself because i dont see any screws there to open it... Though i will still try to apply pressure on the bezels as you said.. I will try it and will tell you the result... Thanks anyway
EDIT: I've found that with Red background the screen ,The line is just not visible at all and without colors it's visible and applying any pressure didn't fix it.

Last edited:

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi!

I can't see the pictures here because im at work, but i'm pretty sure you can see here how to disassemble your monitor.

Removing the Anti-Glare Coating on a Dell 2001FP

Edit:
Just don't follow the whole guide, since that guy is removing the anti glare coating from the screen it self.
Thank you for the guide but i took my monitor to a repairer and told him about the line but he said it wont be fixed he didn't even check it so is he a noob or didnt want fix it or this monitor cant be fixed?

Thank you for the guide but i took my monitor to a repairer and told him about the line but he said it wont be fixed he didn't even check it so is he a noob or didnt want fix it or this monitor cant be fixed?

There are a lot of 'repairers' out there who only replace simple parts. There are a number of ways that screen categorically can be fixed- as we've mentioned checking the main connection between the panel and control board is the first step.

If that doesn't work then it's likely the panel itself needs changing- you can usually get replacement panels and they are usually quite a lot cheaper than the whole screen. You need to dismantle the screen to get to the panel itself- it will have a model number printed on it which is what you need to order.

Where the repairer might have a point is that if the panel does need replacing, it may not be very cost effective given how cheaply you can pick up a new screen (roughly £80). I would still suggest you try checking the connection first though- the article Spaceghaze has linked you to gives a pretty good run down of how to take your specific screen apart.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
There are a lot of 'repairers' out there who only replace simple parts. There are a number of ways that screen categorically can be fixed- as we've mentioned checking the main connection between the panel and control board is the first step.

If that doesn't work then it's likely the panel itself needs changing- you can usually get replacement panels and they are usually quite a lot cheaper than the whole screen. You need to dismantle the screen to get to the panel itself- it will have a model number printed on it which is what you need to order.

Where the repairer might have a point is that if the panel does need replacing, it may not be very cost effective given how cheaply you can pick up a new screen (roughly £80). I would still suggest you try checking the connection first though- the article Spaceghaze has linked you to gives a pretty good run down of how to take your specific screen apart.
I really dont know how to open this thing because i cant see any screws on the monitor to open and i said before that i cant afford any tv right now...so even i tried to open it and i may damage it rather and fixing it up and lose the only monitor i got... So i cant and dont wanna take any risk.. I need to if there's any POSSIBLE fix for this without opening it up... I know there aint but im no expert in these stuff than you guys.