[SOLVED] Vertically mounted GPUs in extra low position?

bumblebee953

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Vertical GPUs are fairly common with mounting kits and riser cables. If I want the motherboard to be as unobstructed as possible, is it possible to mount the GPU in a very low position and extra long riser cables? Not all cases will allow this due to space limitations but may be posssible with dual system cases? See below example with Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2...

index.php

Now imagine if the GPU is mounted where the ITX system is at the bottom, using the I/O slot of where the ITX system would be. Not sure how long the riser cable would need to be and would probably need to use the lowest PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard. But in theory this could actually work?

Solution
I don't see why not, considering we can even put the graphics card outside of the case with modern adapters and cabling. Or even use desktop graphics cards in enclosures with laptops.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be mounted down there, if you REALLY wanted to, so long as you can find accomodating cabling and mounting hardware.
I don't see why not, considering we can even put the graphics card outside of the case with modern adapters and cabling. Or even use desktop graphics cards in enclosures with laptops.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be mounted down there, if you REALLY wanted to, so long as you can find accomodating cabling and mounting hardware.

Reactions: bumblebee953
Solution