Question Vertically mounting an EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper in Corsair Obsidian 1000D ?

Mar 30, 2022
Ok, I've had to overcome so many roadblocks in this build and this is the last one. I'm trying to vertically mount an EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper in a Corsair Obsidian 1000D case. There are two places to vertically mount a GPU in this case:

1. There are a couple of vertical mounting slots all the way at the edge of the back of the case. When you install the PSU shroud, you can screw a riser cable bracket onto a couple of posts on top of the PSU shroud and remove the expansion slot covers for the GPU video ports. The only problem with this is that with the default plate installed on the back of the case, half of those expansion slots are covered up. The only solution is to completely remove that backplate, or get/make a custom backplate.

2. If I want to vertical mount the GPU using the expansion port slots right at the motherboard expansion slots, there is a horizontal expansion bracket that can be removed and replaced with a vertical expansion bracket. There are mounting screw holes in the expansion bracket as you would expect, but oddly enough, the RTX 3090 mounting plate only spans one slot and has no screw holes in it (see below). There is a notch in the mounting plate that doesn't align with any screw holes in the expansion bracket, so the only option is to use a single screw in the "corner" of the mounting plate, and to screw it down as tightly as possible to prevent the GPU from rotating around that single screw, which would be the ONLY thing securing the very heavy GPU. I've contacted EVGA Support to see if perhaps they have a replacement mounting plate that spans two slots and/or has actual screw holes in it, which would make it much more secure. Still waiting to receive an answer.

3. I could get a vertical GPU mounting bracket. The best one I've found is here - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-vertical-gpu-holder-evo-gen4-riser - but it's apparently not compatible with my case. According to EK Support, "Unfortunately, the EK-Loop Vertical GPU Holder EVO is not compatible with the Corsair Obsidian 1000D because the case does not have an open rear PCIe I/O slot layout, please check the picture below."

I've seen a number of GPU brackets that would require cutting the metal strips between the empty expansion slots in order to make it work. Note in the below picture that the bracket with the vertical slots can be removed completely. The two horizontal slots at the top are fixed and after removing the slot covers, the metal strips would need to be cut for that whole space to be open. I wonder if the EK bracket would work if these metal strips were cut, or could even fit in only the space where the vertical slots are? Obviously, cutting wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not really concerned about resale value. I would just want to make sure that the metal is cut properly and without leaving behind any jagged edges.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Reactions: vipersb1

ASK THE COMMUNITY