[SOLVED] Very brief power cut, now PC won't power on?

May 28, 2020
Here is the video of the issue:

(wow I really need to buy some duster spray)

The electric service in my area went off and back on very quickly the other day.

When I hit the power button, the fan will start spinning briefly, then go off. It will just keep doing this over and over until I flick off the switch on the power supply.

My guess (hope, really) is that this is a power supply issue

However the green status light on the motherboard is on, when I switch on the power supply

I have a pretty nice Belkin surge protector that was about $70 too...

Apparently it is not that nice after all.

PC Specs:
mb = Asus P5K-E
cpu = q9550
the HD in question is a Max Digital 4 TB, 64mb cache, 7200 rpm, sata 6.0/gb internal surveillance HD

Solution
(you can get a better pc for 70 dollars. seriously.)

anyway
I had something very similar happen a couple of weeks ago.
I suggest taking both cmos and all power connectors out. then reconnect them.

tr0ubl3mak3r

Commendable
Sep 24, 2018
I'd say that the chance that it's the power supply is very high. Something burnt out, and so it starts, but as soon as it reaches some certain wattage/whatever, that something that burnt out just won't allow the power supply to... supply more power, and so the computer dies. If you have a spare power supply to test - I'd recommend trying the new power supply

May 28, 2020
(you can get a better pc for 70 dollars. seriously.)

ha!
i don't follow new tech like i used to, that's for sure.
do you have a link, or something i can google?

thanks!
i will try your suggestion on reconnecting power cables

I'd say that the chance that it's the power supply is very high. Something burnt out, and so it starts, but as soon as it reaches some certain wattage/whatever, that something that burnt out just won't allow the power supply to... supply more power, and so the computer dies. If you have a spare power supply to test - I'd recommend trying the new power supply

don't have one i can use to test, unfortunately
this was a really nice power supply too
oh well

i appreciate the replies!

May 28, 2020
I had something very similar happen a couple of weeks ago.
I suggest taking both cmos and all power connectors out. then reconnect them.

it worked
thank you so much
what a relief

i also unplugged and replugged (not a word lol) the hard drives as well, except for 2 of them because they are a total pain in the butt to get to
it's one of those big old antec cases that can hold like 6 hd's
long story not interesting - but it worked without unplugging/replugging all of the hard drives, is what i'm getting at
2 of them i did unplug/replug

Reactions: siaan312