Question Very cheap full-OS system

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
The Amazon Fire 7 is currently 60 CAD (= 47.547104 USD = 41.0001 EUR Last updated Oct 4, 2021, 05:00 UTC) and I assume it will eventually get on rebate thus be quite attractive price-wise. I've read in its comment that it's an Android variation and that multiple (if not numerous) Android apps won't work on it; that isn't attractive at all.

Could you recommend very cheap system (tablet, laptop, etc.) which has a full OS and a decently long battery life? I'm thinking I'll use it as an e-Reader a good portion of the time, and I assume when doing so, it would use less power.

Thank you kindly

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I think very cheap would still be applicable up to 2.5X the price in the OP. I clicked the price checking links in the article you linked, and multiple ones didn't give a price, and the majority of those that did were waaay more expensive than the Amazon Fire 7. I mentioned
I'm thinking I'll use it as an e-Reader a good portion of the time
, which isn't vast majority, nor almost exclusively and much less only.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
I didn't use that site for the pricing, sorry that I didn't mention that. I usually just look them up myself.

Any full-OS tablet that is fully functional will be much more expensive than the Amazon Fire, as far as I know. In that price range, you would usually get something that barely works since the RAM wouldn't actually be enough to run Android without freezing and/or crashing all the time.
Edit- I am apparently out of date. The cheap tablets now come with 2 GB of RAM, but I don't know how well that would run on Android 10 as I am still using Android 6.

Here's a tablet in the price range of the Amazon Fire 7 - Amazon.com : Tablets, Android Tablet 8 inch, Android 10.0 Tablet 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage Quad-Core Processor Kids Tablet PC Tab (Black) : Electronics

And here's one that is $160 from Samsung that seems to fit the OP - Amazon.com: SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A 8.0-inch Android Tablet 64GB Wi-Fi Lightweight Large Screen Feel Camera Long-Lasting Battery, Black : Everything Else

Looking up "8 inch tablet" comes up with results like that.

As for laptops, I think Chromebooks are the best cheap ones around for more or less $200. If you want a Windows 10 S laptop (which only lets you download apps from the Microsoft Store), you'll be going up to at around $250. If you want a full Windows 10 laptop, then it's about $350, from what I see on the Internet.

I advise you to check the reviews, though for signs of non-reliability.

Last edited:

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Holy molly! Looking at the tablets from your 2nd link sorted from cheapest, I thought I'd get some unknown brands and with an insurance; but then I thought that would be about the maximum I set for very cheap (2.5X OP price), which I didn't want to get at but set it that high in case you suggested me something awesome. When I saw some of the cheapest ones come with fancy camera with multiple captors/CCD, that got me thinking 3D cameras have multiple captors and I've also been looking for a 3D camera, although at a lesser priority than a very cheap tablet. If I could a tablet with an integrated 3D camera, I could go as high as 400 CAD (= 317.96726 USD = 273.6141 EUR; Last updated Oct 4, 2021, 19:49 UTC) ; does someone know of one in that price-range? I accept unknown brands suggestions as long as with the additional price of a 3 years insurance is within it (price-range).

logainofhades

Titan
The Amazon Fire 7 is currently 60 CAD (= 47.547104 USD = 41.0001 EUR Last updated Oct 4, 2021, 05:00 UTC) and I assume it will eventually get on rebate thus be quite attractive price-wise. I've read in its comment that it's an Android variation and that multiple (if not numerous) Android apps won't work on it; that isn't attractive at all.

Could you recommend very cheap system (tablet, laptop, etc.) which has a full OS and a decently long battery life? I'm thinking I'll use it as an e-Reader a good portion of the time, and I assume when doing so, it would use less power.

Thank you kindly

There is a process to do it, with regards to installing google play, but you can run google play apps, on a Fire 7. I have done it myself, on several 7's and HD8's, even a firestick.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
There is a process to do it, with regards to installing google play, but you can run google play apps, on a Fire 7. I have done it myself, on several 7's and HD8's, even a firestick.

Nice! I decided I'd try it and if it failed, return it, so
Order placed
October 4, 2021
Total
CDN$ 91.97
Ship to
[censored]
Order # [censored]

View order details Invoice

Arriving Saturday
Track package
Fire HD 8 tablet, 8" HD display, 32 GB, latest model (2020 release), designed for portable entertainment, Black
While browsing I saw the above in rebate at only 33% more expensive than what's in the OP for 2X RAM, 1" more display, and last but not the least: > 70% more battery-life!

PS: Also if the battery-life is not as advertised, I can just return it and there would be a decent chance I'd get a kindle instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrmike16

TRENDING THREADS