Question Very confusing sound issue

Kaname78

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Hello. I have a very strange sound issue that doesn't seem to make any sense to me. The other day my computer crashed and ever since then my sound will not work whatsoever. I've tried trouble shooting and it says it can't find an issue. I have a logitech g430 headset which comes with its own sound card but even that doesn't work. (it works on another computer though) I have two of those headsets and neither of them work on my computer now. The soundcard installed into my motherboard doesn't seem to work either. My computer can fully detect and recognize these soundcards however it will not play audio or record mic audio whatsoever. I've tried multiple audio sources. I went into device manager to uninstall and reinstall the drivers multiple times but absolutely nothing helps. Whenever I've tried playing test sounds from the sound manager it gives me and error saying "failed to play test tone" (I've switched defaults on everything and nothing works at all) I even went as far as to do a full system restore to reset my computer to factory settings so even that did not help. That leads me to believe that it has something to do with hardware however that doesn't explain why it wont let my headset soundcards work. I was told that my soundcard must be fried however I don't understand why my headset soundcard wont work on this computer now. My computer can detect it and install it. It even displays normally like it should but it just wont work and my computer can't find any errors. I want to get a USB external soundcard but I believe that's pretty much the same thing as what my headset has. I don't know what's wrong and I have no idea what to do. Please help me.

Kaname78

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
Update: while booting into repair options I could do a successful sound test in the hp diagnostics menu. So that means my sound card still works. That leads me to believe that there is something wrong with Windows however I have reinstalled it and cleaned it so many times and nothing seems to work