Very Different Speed Test Results

SetoVarious

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
Hi, I recently got NBN installed in my home, and my provider is MyRepublic (This is in Australia BTW). I got the NBN 100 packages which is 100 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up, but this will vary depending on how close you are to the node. For some reason though, when I run a speedtest on fast.com, or speedtest.net, they tell me I am getting about 5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I know this is not true as on Steam my speed is around 90 Mbps and on https://speedtest.telstra.com/, it shows my correct speed of around 92 Mbps down and 35 up. I was wondering if anyone knew why the other speedtest are producing such inaccurate results? Thanks!
Linked below is my most recent test:
https://telstra-nbn.speedtestcustom.com/result/a91719f0-5686-11e8-8f11-ebbc22c5dbe4

Solution

SetoVarious

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

All websites I perform tests on are servers in AUS. This is why it isn't making sense to me.

It is impossible to say, because how do you know the server its pinging to is not overloaded or has a problem.
Routing is different, depends where you are.
So are you saying you are or are not getting fast speeds when you download? It's all relative and just because a website or 2 are slow to connect, doesn't mean anything.
We have no idea if that server which is slow is being DDOS attacked or what. It really doesn't mean much. It would only mean something if ALL your tests were slow, but they aren't.

If you really want to find out you will have to examine the path between you and the servers. To a point a single tracert command will give you a clue but in many cases you must go farther and try to determine what interconnections ISP have. The internet is not one single company it is made up of thousands of companies and some have better interconnection to each other.

A example would be say I am a ISP providing service for a extremely remote area. I provide gigabit fiber to everyones house in the city and have my own speedtest servers. BUT to get to the actual internet I use a satellite connection to connect to the larger ISP I buy connectivity from. You would see gigabit test results from the local server but much less from servers anyplace else.

SetoVarious

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

That is true, it's just strange the same sites have been providing the same slow results for about a week now. Especially considering speedtest.net is such a widely used site, it usually provides very accurate results. I tested it on my 4G, and the speeds are as expected, yet my home internet is still slow as hell on it.

Probably a non-issue though.
Steam works, one of the Speedtest sites work and both of those show you are being given access to the INTERNET via your ISP at expected bandwidth.

The crappy Speedtest site would fail due to the server used for whatever reason. Unless your actual downloads or internet access are slower than expected for other sites there's no cause for concern.

Solution