1.33 mhz
ASUS A7A-266
512 mo PC-2100 from crucial
ASUS V8200 deluxe GeForce3
SB-LIVE value
Maxtor 40gb Hard-Disk
Pioneer DVD
300 watt power supply

First thing this thing is way too hot,when i first booted it up after 10 mins of windows 98-se looking around the alarm start.Called the guy who built the system to make him hear that alarm.Told me it must be CPU temp too hot.Went and looked in the BIOS and the temp was 68 degree and rising.Took off both sides and same problem,i had to use a fan i had at home to blow right on the mobo and temp went down to 52 in the bios.

I flashed the bios,got the 12.4 drivers for the geforce,got directx8.0a,then proceeded to some benchmarking.3d Mark 2001 always freeze on the dragon test,sometimes on the low detail sometimes on the high detail.But what surprised me is that i can only get a max of 20 fps in the truck test at 1024xsomething.With the default options no anti aliasing.And i do think 20 fps is pretty low for a GeForce3.

I know the system is running too hot but it should not affect too much the GeForce3...i really dont know what to do.I was soo excited to try out my new rig but it performances are worse then the one my bro get with a regular geforce 2 gts on a pIII 500.

I really need some serious help

G

It is the responsibilty of the guy who built the system for you to make sure it is cooled enough and is stable. Tell him you want a full refund as he sold you a bad product or tell him to apply cooling that will allow it to operate properly.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
When you run 3dMark2001 it is also cpu intensive as well, as in 100% cpu intensive. Meaning your inadequate cooled cpu is heating up and probably causing the crash. You need to get proper cooling for the T-Bird. My 1.2ghz overclocked at 1.4ghz rarely reaches 45c at 100% cpu usage. So I recommend you take it back as well, overheating the cpu until it fails isn't a good idea.

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure this guy isn't ripping you off. He sounds unconcerned with the fact that the CPU temp is rising. Could be that the chip isn't really a 1.33Ghz chip but somthing lower, and this guy went and over clocked it with inadequete cooling and then sold it as a 1.33 chip.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check the Multipier and FSB speeds in your bios or download WCPUID to get the details of your chip settings.

On the other hand it could be a badly mounted heatsink.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

G

Well i flashed the BIOS and when i booted it back instead of the 1333MHZ it went down to 1000MHZ.Is it normal? Or do i have to go change the clock ans multiplier. The board is on jumperless or jumperfree mode.And is there a way to check if the cpu is really running a 266mhz FSB?

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
ajmcgarry could be right, sounds like a 1000 overclocked to 1333 on a cheap motherboard and poorly cooled. Give more info, memory , os, etc.

Thank you very little!

G

Read my first post all the info are there...my main question is is it normal a 1333mhz cpu drop to a 1000mhz by himself after flashing the bios.or is it normal and i have to go back to the bios and set it back to 1333mhz?

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
that's normal for my bios....if I CLEAR it, it returns to
100fsb(10)=1000, instead of 133fsb(10)=1333...(it's nothing to do with your cpu) just go into your bios and enable 133fsb again.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

G

well....it does sound like a overclocked cpu...

If you reset the bios, or clear the CMOS, then the settings will goto default speed...in your case that is 1000Mhz....this bloke ripped you of for sure....

Take of the heatsink from the cpu, and check that text on the cpu...then post it here in the forum...Because then you will be able to see in it is a 1000 Mhz chip or a 1.333 G'z chip

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
HELLLOOOOOO???????

I know VERY well what my cpu die says my CPU is....R U taking to me??? Like i'm some newbie or something...heh

I'm telling this guy that the speed the bois defaults to has nothing to do with the rated cpu speed.

My 1200/266 axia defaults to (9)100 even though the rated speed is (9)133....see my point?

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you reset the bios, or clear the CMOS, then the settings will goto default speed...in your case that is 1000Mhz....this bloke ripped you of for sure....
I'm not so sure about it. Mine (TB1000<b>C</b> AXIA core) does same thing if I selected <b>JumperFree mode</b> on my A7V133. It posted at 750MHz (7.5*100FSB), I had to change to 133FSB for it posts at 1000MHz. It seems that 100MHz is default FSB.
Check the marking on the chip to be sure. It should've been something like <font color=red><b>A1333xxx</font color=red><font color=blue>C</font color=blue></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>sounds like a 1000 overclocked to 1333 on a cheap motherboard and poorly cooled.</b>
Asus A7A266 is the <b><font color=red>cheap</b></font color=red> mobo??? Don't think so, but I agreed with you it has been poorly cooled.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.