Very dumb question about multicore CPUs

irishdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I always hear people in arguments about dual core vs quad core saying things like "Try to run a virus scan on one core, install a huge file on another core, browse the internet normally on another one" etc. And I'm just wondering, is there a way to designate what core to use? or will the computer automatically use a new core when one is being used to it's potential?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Windows will automatically swap tasks to and from different cores. You can manually do it to, go to Task Manager -> Processes -> right click -> set affinity.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Heh.. I dunno about that. I think it just does what the user tells it to. I suppose you let windows adjust the swap file for ya. :whistle:

venkat karthik

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
its not the process which runs on a single processor
the threads (code which can run independent of other code(mostly and in general ))

a process has many number of threads from 1 to may be 50 or more
multicore processors share the threads in between them and each processor has to run the threads one after the other distributing time between threads

you can also set the all threads of a process to run on a single processor by going into task manager and in process tab right click the process and then click set affinity and you can uncheck the processors on which you don't want to run that process

more cores means the more number of threads you can run without slowing down much because you get more time per thread on a multicore processor than a single core

if you want to see how many threads a process have then you can open the process tab of task manager and then in view check the thread count

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Actually, with your example (virus scan, install, surf), there will be a lot of HD accessing, which will kill the performance of trying to manage the threads. The only time you will see a difference is when you run apps that perform long tasks that don't access the HD. For example, performing a script in Photoshop on an image while decoding a movie while listing to music.

Any app that is accessing files on the HD will have relatively low CPU utilization.

:lol: Yeah, most ppl put in 4GB+ RAM and have 8GB swapfiles, which kills the use of 4GB+ RAM. :lol:

TRENDING THREADS